Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mcb or rcbo for interlinked smoke alarms

Options
  • 14-11-2020 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

just wondering if a dedicated mcb with rcd protection is compliant with the regs or if a dedicated rcbo would be required?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

lostman666 wrote: »
    just wondering if a dedicated mcb with rcd protection is compliant with the regs or if a dedicated rcbo would be required?

Mcb only is the requirement

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

MCB for maximum reliably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Wired as a separate radial but doubled up on a lighting MCB is prob best but it's not allowed here

Stops the householder simply powering off the alarms and removing the batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

It can be either an MCB or RCBO but not dedicated it must share with another circuit such as a lighting circuit. Reason is if it trips it will be noticed and reset. I've had it once where a homeowner replaced all batteries to stop the beeping and when that didn't work removed all the smokes thinking they were faulty when the real issue was the MCB was tripped. Not sure which rule actually covers this but I got pulled by a safe electric inspector for having the smoke alarms on a dedicated circuit and made change it a few years ago.

EHP wrote: »
    It can be either an MCB or RCBO but not dedicated it must share with another circuit such as a lighting circuit. Reason is if it trips it will be noticed and reset. I've had it once where a homeowner replaced all batteries to stop the beeping and when that didn't work removed all the smokes thinking they were faulty when the real issue was the MCB was tripped. Not sure which rule actually covers this but I got pulled by a safe electric inspector for having the smoke alarms on a dedicated circuit and made change it a few years ago.

True about sharing the MCB but it's not allowed

RCBO no benefit there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It can be either an MCB or RCBO but not dedicated it must share with another circuit such as a lighting circuit.

I don’t think that is a rule.

2011 wrote: »
    I don’t think that is a rule.

I was sure there was a rule said they had to have their own MCB?

I can't find it now

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

I was sure there was a rule said they had to have their own MCB?

I can't find it now

It was definitely meant to have a dedicated circuit once but it was changed, i think it's more to do with the circuit having to be monitored and sharing a lighting circuit is accepted as a method of monitoring the smoke alarm circuit. Just to note I'm only referring to interlinked smokes etc in a domestic house not an actual full fire alarm system.

It was definitely meant to have a dedicated circuit once but it was changed, i think it's more to do with the circuit having to be monitored and sharing a lighting circuit is accepted as a method of monitoring the smoke alarm circuit. Just to note I'm only referring to interlinked smokes etc in a domestic house not an actual full fire alarm system.

Yes definitely the best way if allowed

The smokes should be wired as a separate radial though and then just doubled up at the MCB

Advertisement