Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a type k thermocouple on a copper pipe

Options
  • 14-11-2020 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one if anyone can help. I want to measure the temperature of the water output of the oil burner. If I place a type k thermocouple directly on the copper pipe or the brass fittings will there be any corrosion issues? I have some spare thermocouples and transmitters that I can connect to my PLC to log the temperature if it’s unlikely to cause any issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

The type I used before had a jubilee clip on it, and I used to put some thermal paste on too. Never caused any damage.

You could use a small bit of manifold/brake caliper paint as a barrier, it shouldn't make any major difference to the measurement.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I wouldn’t use a thermocouple for this purpose. They are more suited to far higher temperature ranges. For this application I would recommend a PT100.

Anyway to answer your question it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

2011 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t use a thermocouple for this purpose. They are more suited to far higher temperature ranges. For this application I would recommend a PT100.

Anyway to answer your question it will be fine.

Thanks for the replies. Yea I’ll use the thermocouples as those are what I have for now. I might replace them for PT100 if I need to all I’ll need to do is reprogram the PR transmitters. There’s no real reason for doing this, just for a bit of fun and to add the info to my system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You will find that the PT100’s will provide a far more stable and accurate reading.
    Response time is increased but will still be very rapid. Normally thermocouples are used for far higher temperature ranges.

Advertisement