Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best charge card for international travel?

Options
  • 14-11-2020 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I might be doing some road trips to the UK and France next year (I'm an optimist) and I'm wondering which charging cards are best for use in other countries?

I'm not necessarily focused on cheapest rates, reliability and availability of chargers is more important

So far it seems like Plugsurfing and Chargemap have the best selection of chargers across Europe. Rates don't seem too bad and they both allow charging via card or app (having options is good)

Does anyone have any other providers they'd recommend?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The best card is no card and the best app is no app :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

unkel wrote: »
    The best card is no card and the best app is no app :D

If only it were so simple :rolleyes:

I saw a review recently of a cash and card pay point that can be retrofitted to any charging station, could even control multiple stations from what I saw.

You could probably retrofit a parking meter to a charging station and do €/min billing. Not the fairest approach but it does stop people camping at the chargers, and gives those old parking meters a new lease on life

How did we somehow get away from the idea of just paying for stuff with money, or a card, and not use all this app/RFID garbage :mad:

Anyways, back to the bleak reality we live in. I'd personally prefer to have an RFID card as the apps can be unreliable (or unusable) especially when abroad and roaming. I can always try the RFID and have the app as backup

I've already got a Plugsurfing tag so I might bit the bullet and order a Chargemap card (€20 for a fecking RFID card, seriously???) and see how it goes from there

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement