Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked to pre-pay for boiler service?

Options
  • 13-11-2020 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭

I had a boiler service booked for tomorrow and then a few hours ago the plumbing company said they required I make a pre-payment in full.

This seems quite odd to me, given how I paid after the service was done last year, and this would be the norm for any other technicians that visit my property (like electricians etc).

Normally I pay once the job is done. Their office is open tomorrow and I said I will call them to pay once the technician shows up.

Is this a typical practice now to ask for pre-payment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭e.r

Had ours serviced last week by bord gais.
    Payed off in stages against our bill.
    Bit cheeky asking this the evening before IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

e.r wrote: »
    Had ours serviced last week by bord gais.
    Payed off in stages against our bill.
    Bit cheeky asking this the evening before IMO

Is there any benefit going with Bord Gais over any of the private providers? Or is it just the billing aspect?

I'm with Electric Ireland and I see they have an offer of €89 for a service so might check with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

mrcheez wrote: »
    Is there any benefit going with Bord Gais over any of the private providers? Or is it just the billing aspect?

I'm with Electric Ireland and I see they have an offer of €89 for a service so might check with them.

I wouldn't be keen to pay up front! Go for the €89 and you might have the option to split it over a few months.

• Site Banned Posts: 26 bubbagumss

i would go with bord gais they are properly trained

bubbagumss wrote: »

any idea if they would they also clean out my Magnaclean filter? I usually get this done alongside the service with most other suppliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

cheeky....... things in the country are not bad!!

Go elsewhere... we all have a duty to stamp out this practice!

UNLESS you are getting 10-20% off for paying in advance!! Then I'm up for it!

I think Bord Gais need upfront too, but at least less chance of a no-show

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

any idea if they would they also clean out my Magnaclean filter? I usually get this done alongside the service with most other suppliers.

This is a simple job you can do yourself. I did mine on Wednesday night....YouTube video and had it done in 15 mins.

Turn off the valves that are piped into it, take off the top of the Magna clean, take out the internal magnetic bar and wash it clean. Reverse order and you're done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

Generally in most services its payment after. But I know a few service companies who want payment upfront before they will even book you in. Many implemented this during the crash and kept it.
    I have an LPG boiler which is an odd brand and RVR in Kerry are the ones with trained service engineers and spare parts and I have to pay for the service upfront before they will even give me a date. I believe Munster joinery are similar.

shane b wrote: »
    Generally in most services its payment after. But I know a few service companies who want payment upfront before they will even book you in. Many implemented this during the crash and kept it.
    I have an LPG boiler which is an odd brand and RVR in Kerry are the ones with trained service engineers and spare parts and I have to pay for the service upfront before they will even give me a date. I believe Munster joinery are similar.

I think what bothered me the most is that I booked this 2 weeks ago and they tell me a few hours ago they need payment now or it's cancelled.

So I told them to leave it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

I think what bothered me the most is that I booked this 2 weeks ago and they tell me a few hours ago they need payment now or it's cancelled.

In that case I dont blame you. Bit cheeky. I'd have done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

But you had the money ready for the morning,so what's the odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

bubbagumss wrote: »

Cute. Bord Gais have the same training as every other RGI. Clueless customers think they’re getting some superior service just because the technician is work for bord Gais. In reality, technicians who work for bord Gais are on price work, paid per job and paid badly. So they get through as many boilers as they possibly can in a day to make a decent living. They have a short checklist to go through when servicing and it’s done to the bare minimum. Same goes with airtricity, electric Ireland and similar outfits.

vandriver wrote: »
    But you had the money ready for the morning,so what's the odds?

Doesn't matter, you have to treat a customer with respect and not threaten to cancel an appointment in the same sentence that you ask for payment for the first time, despite having 2 weeks to notify that customer that payment would be expected in advance.

Regardless I've had one too many no-shows in the past that I prefer to pay for services either on the day or after the job is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

They might hve hd the same problem - only a service is not like a part or piece of equipment - you can’t take it back if people don’t pay. Maybe they’ve had a few bad experiences? I know some places want a holding fee to be offset against the final fee - some places/work want all parts and half oid upfront in advance and the balance on completion ... it depends. More and more chancer about - at least if its in your visa/bank statement you can immediately seek a refund from the bank if there is an issue (like a no-show) ... its much harder for them...

Possibly, though I used them last year and didn't have to pre-pay. So their policy changed apparently.

Would have been nice to know... perhaps on the day of booking?

I was literally told "we'll need payment for this in advance or it will be cancelled." They sent this at 1pm, and their office closed at 4pm.

I read the mail around 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Any private work we get a 80 euro deposit upfront.

Too many not paying and never had a intention of paying.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Any private work we get a 80 euro deposit upfront.

Too many not paying and never had a intention of paying.

Do you let them know this when they are booking, or leave it to last 3 hours before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Do you let them know this when they are booking, or leave it to last 3 hours before?

At time they enquire. We are a very transparent company.

Advertisement