Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cast Iron Fireplace

Options
  • 13-11-2020 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi folks

Just looking for some advise please

Bought a 2nd hand cast iron fireplace

Left it with someone to get sand blasted and primed but he wont paint it

So I have to paint it myself

We want it to be a satin black.

I believe it has to be an OIL based paint, but does it have to be a special kind of paint? Like heat resistant etc. ? or can I just go to any paint shop and get an oil based satin black paint?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Don't use paint.

Use something like this:
    https://www.liberon.co.uk/product/iron-paste/
    https://www.stovax.com/accessories/black-grate-polish/

There are loads of similar graphite paste products designed for the job.

Back in the day my uncle used to run a fireplace restoration business and I vaguely remember renovating the Victorian fireplaces in my house with this kind of paste. Sadly I can't remember exactly the product, but it's a really easy and rewarding task.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Thanks for this info

With it being primed, is there a time limit as to when it needs to be painted? As in, does it need to be painted ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I owned a few of these. I used Nitromors to remove the paint. Loads of the stuff. Cost a small fortune. I remember seeing layers of different colour paints including wax, peeling away, as I slowly brought the beautiful detail back.

I remember not using a proper paint and flecks of rust eventually came through but actually looked kind of nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Thanks for this info

With it being primed, is there a time limit as to when it needs to be painted? As in, does it need to be painted ASAP

Oh, I missed the bit about priming. That sounds like preparation for paint.

So my advice does not stand. From what I recall, the paste should be applied to bare metal.

Lumen wrote: »
    Oh, I missed the bit about priming. That sounds like preparation for paint.

So my advice does not stand. From what I recall, the paste should be applied to bare metal.

Ah ok, in that case this goes back to my original question

What kind of paint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Ah ok, in that case this goes back to my original question

What kind of paint

I bought one years ago and was supplied and fitted, they sprayed it after fitted and if memory serves me used motorbike paint. It lasted and looked well but a fire was not used much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can paint it, or use the paste Lumen mentioned above, it depends on what look you're trying to achieve. Personally I prefer the wax paste, especially on an older fireplace. Painting it will give it a fairly boring uniform finish, but using the paste you get much more interesting look, especially if it has an intricate design as when you polish it, the high points become slightly paler and have a bit more shine. Gives it a bit more interest IMO, but it's a personal thing.

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback

Advertisement