Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Cashing out on stocks with Revolut. How does tax work?

• 13-11-2020 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭ Pompous

Do I pay tax on the dollar amount of profits? Before paying the currency exchange fees?

Or do I pay tax on the euro profit that gets transferred back into my bank account?

Do Revolut tell Revenue how much I made? Or do I have to inform them myself?

I know I have a tax credit on capital gains up to around €1250 and it's 33% thereafter but I don't know how to pay it or what the particulars are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭ Browney7

Pompous wrote: »
    Do I pay tax on the dollar amount of profits? Before paying the currency exchange fees?

Or do I pay tax on the euro profit that gets transferred back into my bank account?

Do Revolut tell Revenue how much I made? Or do I have to inform them myself?

I know I have a tax credit on capital gains up to around €1250 and it's 33% thereafter but I don't know how to pay it or what the particulars are.

I use the difference between the € amount needed to purchase the exposure with the brokerage fees allowable and the € amount received after paying fees. I'm not sure what happens if you sell a holding and leave it sitting in dollars/£ after sale however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭ Diarmuid

I calculate the tax on the euro profit. Revenue treat currency gains like any other asset

Whether Revolut inform or not, you have to submit a return. Use your online Revenue account (MyAccount) to declare the income.

Advertisement