Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cylinder in attic?

Options
  • 13-11-2020 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a new oil boiler.
    The plumber suggested moving the cylinder from the ground floor to the attic.
    It's a bungalow.

Is it a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I'm getting a new oil boiler.
    The plumber suggested moving the cylinder from the ground floor to the attic.
    It's a bungalow.

Is it a good idea?

It is an exciting and interesting idea certainly.

Assuming using fairly standard gear and setup:

How is he going to set it up so the roof tank is above the level of the cylinder? Do you have the height for this?

• Site Banned Posts: 26 bubbagumss

he wants to make more money
    i would just leave it

in winter its harder to heat if your attic is cold
    also more chance of it freezing and leaking if it gets too cold it will alsonstip you converting the attic in future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Good point about the tank being above the cylinder it won't be.
    Also attic gets very cold.

His reasoning is that the pipes were brought up to the attic and down the walls to the rads. It reduces the amount of pipework and easier to work on in the attic.

Should I get copper or stainless steel? I'm on a well with a lot of iron in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just to update. I'm leaving the cylinder downstairs and getting a twin coil stainless steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,743 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It is an exciting and interesting idea certainly.

Assuming using fairly standard gear and setup:

How is he going to set it up so the roof tank is above the level of the cylinder? Do you have the height for this?

What’s exciting or interesting about the idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What’s exciting or interesting about the idea?

I suppose I meant that is an exciting idea because it potentially opens up floor space and interesting because of the technical steps needed to actually implement it.

However it is probably better as an idea than a practicality.

Advertisement