Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic hoist

Options
  • 12-11-2020 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

just wondering if anyone has installed an attic hoist or small lift for their attic. have a semi converted space which I will be completing in the next few weeks and have seen a few conversions online where a small hoist had been installed for getting stuff to be stored up instead of the inevitable struggle up the steps with heavy boxes etc

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26 bubbagumss

the wood probable will not support a heist
    a heist will not be faster
    just put someone on top and person on ground to lift things up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

A stira or similar type of attic ladder would make access to the attic easier than steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Junior Blue

I will be putting in a stira, and its not really a speed thing, its more of an easier option to save the back. the hoist I looked at weighs 16kg, and in reality the kind of weight we are talking again would only be of a similar weight to what could be lifted by an adult anyway, I assume that a supported beam would take that kind of weight

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A small manual or electric chain hoist would do the job, but I also think it's a bad idea.

You probably don't have a beam. Modern roof structures typically use a ridge board which is importantly different in terms of how loads are handled.

Lumen wrote: »
    A small manual or electric chain hoist would do the job, but I also think it's a bad idea.

You probably don't have a beam. Modern roof structures typically use a ridge board which is importantly different in terms of how loads are handled.

I was thinking of building a frame over the opening, with a beam centred on the frame using that as the support rather than using the ridge joist, at least that's the half a plan I have.

The reality is that its still not going to be handling any more weight than a manual or electric chain hoist would be doing. it was simply to be able to go up to the attic put a couple of boxes of xmas decs etc on it and lower them to the floor rather than having to handball them.

but sure its still only a plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A simple rope pulley would do the job and be less likely to be used for excess weight.

Lumen wrote: »
    A simple rope pulley would do the job and be less likely to be used for excess weight.

All sorted, obviously the onus is on me not to overload it. Built a little cradle which will only hold one box at a time. No more straining the back or having to lift awkward stuff above the shoulders.

Advertisement