Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Virtual Machine woes.

Options
  • 12-11-2020 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

It's many years since I had to deal with Windows in any form but I found an old photographic negative scanner I once used and its WinXP installation disk. I thought I would finish the scanning job I started in 2011!
    I setup Win XP Pro as guest with Virtual box on my Ubuntu 20.04 desktop host.
    I have access to my host's optical disk and usb ports in Win XP. I installed the scanner's driver but I cannot get Win XP to see the Traveler 6500 slide scanner when plugged into any of the host's USB ports. I can see USB sticks and play music off them so they are available in XP.
    lsusb in Ubuntu lists the scanner and Virtual Box sees it and the checkbox is ticked.
    The light inside the scanner lights when plugged in but XP doesn't give me "New hardware found" notification or the option to Safely Remove.
    The scanner might be knackered or I might be missing some basic XP step here - it's only coming back to me very slowly!
    Has anyone any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have you looked in Device Manager to see if there's anything there that's showing an error? Also in Device Manager click on the computer name in the right hand pane, right click and select "Scan for hardware changes" and see if that helps.

I assume you have already installed the drivers? In XP sometimes you have to install drivers for new USB devices first, reboot and then plug it in rather than relying on it finding the device automatically and prompting you ti install the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 raddoc

Thank you for your suggestions Alun.
    Device manager showed USB driver issue. I reset USB controller to USB 1.1 in Virtual box and the scanner was recognised. However I got a warning that it was demanding 240% of USB bandwidth. I tried the USB 2.0 setting and the alert went away but I am not getting a picture from the scanner (yet). I'll keep mucking about.
    Thanks again.
    S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

raddoc wrote: »
    Thank you for your suggestions Alun.
    Device manager showed USB driver issue. I reset USB controller to USB 1.1 in Virtual box and the scanner was recognised. However I got a warning that it was demanding 240% of USB bandwidth. I tried the USB 2.0 setting and the alert went away but I am not getting a picture from the scanner (yet). I'll keep mucking about.
    Thanks again.
    S.
    Do you have to use XP?
    Can you not load driver and soft in compatibility mode in later Win versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just because the disk had an XP logo on it doesn't mean that the only version of windows or would ever work with was XP.

Do you have to use XP?

I have a Win2000 installation disk and that's my next option. I have access to Win 10 but googling suggests that that is an OS too far as far as compatibility is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Do you have to use XP?

Has XP been updated to latest SP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

raddoc wrote: »
    I have a Win2000 installation disk and that's my next option. I have access to Win 10 but googling suggests that that is an OS too far as far as compatibility is concerned.
    Have seen article with driver and soft, author claim to work with Win7/8, but source reliability test will be on you. Look around.

Dampsquid wrote: »
    Has XP been updated to latest SP?

My old WinXP disk is Service pack 2.
    Am going to download an ISO of WinXP Service Pack 3 and start again.
    Windows 2000 didn't work any better for me, apparently it had issues with USB 2.0 support anyway.
    (ExplainingComputers.com has a good tutorial for Virtualbox noobs like me).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That scanner doesnt appear to be anything special, listings for 10GBP for them. Maybe just get something else and save the headache of USB driver passthrough.

Could just get another more modern scanner but I'm enjoying having my sclerotic brain stretched and I need a lockdown project.

• Advertisement
Advertisement