Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless lighting in shed

Options
  • 12-11-2020 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

I’ve a new shed arriving this weekend and don’t have any power and probably won’t for a while. Can anyone recommend some wireless lighting be it battery, solar etc. Shed is 20x10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

You can get numerous 12V internal lights (LED/fluorescent) for caravans from caravan & camping suppliers (Charles Camping Blessington, Leisureshopdirect.com, etc.).
    You just need a 12V supply, in which case a 12V car battery or a 12V leisure battery (better) would do and then use a 12V charger to charge the battery every so often (don't let the battery fully discharge). Of course there are solar power & battery solutions but I'm not familiar with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Just want to add that if you do use a 12V car or leisure battery that you should fit a suitable series fuse as close to the 12V terminal as possible. This is to protect against shorts and protect the battery... very easy to short a battery when working on it and with a high capacity battery it can be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We use these in our sheds (and in various cupboards around the house etc): https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/molgan-led-lighting-white-battery-operated-60263729/

Cheap as chips though you'll have to change the batteries once a month or so on them if your shed sees much use at night so I'd recommend using rechargeable batteries. As smokers, we'd be in the shed most nights in winter so ours gets a lot use.

They're not as good as a proper wired lighting system and I wouldn't fancy trying any fine carpentry by them but one in our standard 8x6 shed is enough light to see where you're going, find tools, tidy up etc.

Advertisement