Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair or replacement of intercom handset

Options
  • 12-11-2020 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the DIY forum, but figure it's more relevant here. Hopefully it's alright if I post this again. I have an intercom handset in my apartment which has stopped working properly. There is no audio from the receiver, but it is transmitting sound from the handset to the apt block main entrance. The door release also works.

I would hope to repair it if I can or else replace it, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

This is the internal wiring of the handset: https://imgur.com/a/7p52n6j

And this is the PDF manual of it I found online: http://www.intercomsrus.com/handset%...ta%20Sheet.pdf

As you can see, there is no board at the bottom in the manual and can only imagine that if I was to order a replacement, it wouldn't come with this second board. Any idea what I can do to either fix the receiver issue or else go about replacing it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

This is a wall telephone style , where you lift the handset to listen ?

If the handset reaches the floor when dropped, its probably the speaker in the handset.
    Most likely its just the cable from wall to handset. Just whip one from an old telephone.

Also check the switches in the wall unit for proper release when you lift handset, possibly stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Sorry, yes. Wall telephone style.

I had opened up the handset and took a look and didn't see any frayed connections or loose wires, so thought it might be the board.

The speaker is actually fine, it's the receiver that's the problem. Switches in the wall are fine as the speaker and door release works. The strange thing is that I can hear a tone from the receiver when I take it off the hook. I just don't hear anyone speaking when they ring my apartment.

Is it likely that a damaged cable would just affect the receiver? Also, I figure I would actually have to wire the cable as it doesn't have the standard telephone jack connector. It goes straight into the housing either end.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

VonLuck wrote: »
    Sorry, yes. Wall telephone style.

I had opened up the handset and took a look and didn't see any frayed connections or loose wires, so thought it might be the board.

The speaker is actually fine, it's the receiver that's the problem. Switches in the wall are fine as the speaker and door release works. The strange thing is that I can hear a tone from the receiver when I take it off the hook. I just don't hear anyone speaking when they ring my apartment.

Is it likely that a damaged cable would just affect the receiver? Also, I figure I would actually have to wire the cable as it doesn't have the standard telephone jack connector. It goes straight into the housing either end.

The speaker is the part that makes the tone and the part you hear the person speaking from. Sounds like it's faulty (pardon the pun). It may also be the board but it's more likely to be the speaker I would imagine.
    A reciever is something completely different.

Have you asked occupants of other apartments in the building if their intercoms are working properly?

aido79 wrote: »
    The speaker is the part that makes the tone and the part you hear the person speaking from. Sounds like it's faulty (pardon the pun). It may also be the board but it's more likely to be the speaker I would imagine.
    A reciever is something completely different.

Have you asked occupants of other apartments in the building if their intercoms are working properly?

I'm clearly not thinking straight. My brain knows the word speaker and incorrectly thought that that was the part you 'speak' into and the receiver is where you receive messages! I need my coffee.

It's the speaker that's not working receiving audio from the front entrance intercom panel, but it still makes a tone when you lift the handset. No issues with other apartments.

I spoke to the management company and they were going to replace it but charge me €250 for it which sounds extortionate!

Is there anything you would suggest trying in order to fix it?

I'm clearly not thinking straight. My brain knows the word speaker and incorrectly thought that that was the part you 'speak' into and the receiver is where you receive messages! I need my coffee.

It's the speaker that's not working receiving audio from the front entrance intercom panel, but it still makes a tone when you lift the handset. No issues with other apartments.

I spoke to the management company and they were going to replace it but charge me €250 for it which sounds extortionate!

Is there anything you would suggest trying in order to fix it?

Have you priced the handset yourself? It would be a simple job to replace it with a new one.

• Advertisement

OP I did a bit of googling and couldn't see any reference to the second PCB in your handset.
    No mention in the manual either.
    Are you the closest apartment to the door by any chance?

Have you priced the handset yourself? It would be a simple job to replace it with a new one.

The handset is cheap enough to replace. The problem is how do I install it without a second board.
    OP I did a bit of googling and couldn't see any reference to the second PCB in your handset.
    No mention in the manual either.
    Are you the closest apartment to the door by any chance?

No. I'm far from the main door. What could that second board even do? I could take the chance of replacing the handset and transferring across the PCB, but the problem could be the board for all I know.

You'd think it would be a straight forward replacement!

The handset is cheap enough to replace. The problem is how do I install it without a second board.

No. I'm far from the main door. What could that second board even do? I could take the chance of replacing the handset and transferring across the PCB, but the problem could be the board for all I know.

You'd think it would be a straight forward replacement!

The link for the manual won't open for me but I don't think it is the correct manual for your handset.
    Can you remove the handset from the wall and check the model number on the back?

The link for the manual won't open for me but I don't think it is the correct manual for your handset.
    Can you remove the handset from the wall and check the model number on the back?

Strange. I can't open it anymore either. It did work before.

I removed it from the wall and it shows a model number "PT510W". I've tried googling it and found this: https://www.farfisa.com/images/pdf/MI2155-1a.pdf

Can't say I understand it though! Checking Google images it only shows the one board as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

• Advertisement

You sure this isn't PT510WDG with the decoder module??

PT510W Project series white intercom
    PT510WDG Project series white electronic intercom with decoder

LostInLM wrote: »

Could very well be, but is that something that needs to be programmed by the security company?

Looks to be the exact one, yes!
    You sure this isn't PT510WDG with the decoder module??

PT510W Project series white intercom
    PT510WDG Project series white electronic intercom with decoder

It might be the 'DG' version, but the backing plate just says "PT510W" in large letters. Is the version with a decoder something you can just buy off the shelf or as I mentioned above, does it need to be programmed?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I've little to no experience with this kind of thing!

Could very well be, but is that something that needs to be programmed by the security company?

Looks to be the exact one, yes!

It might be the 'DG' version, but the backing plate just says "PT510W" in large letters. Is the version with a decoder something you can just buy off the shelf or as I mentioned above, does it need to be programmed?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I've little to no experience with this kind of thing!

Sorry, I don't know anything more about these. Here is a manual I found online : https://www.farfisa.com/images/pdf/mi2298st.pdf. Might be best to get company to look at it, although fee does sound large. Would want to be sure that the problem is on your side and not in the building equipment. Maybe check the F2 (audio reception channel) connection to ensure that it is intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭biketard

whizbang wrote: »
    Also check the switches in the wall unit for proper release when you lift handset, possibly stuck.

^Back to this... have you tried fiddling with the switch (the thing that moves when you lift the handset up/put it back)? If you're getting some sound out of the speaker, but not the sound you're expecting, then it would seem to me the speaker itself is working, but it's not getting the right signal. Could be that part of the switch is not doing what it should so the phone is not totally passing the signal over to the speaker (of course it could be something completely different, but it's quick and easy to wiggle the switch a bit).

Sorry, I don't know anything more about these. Here is a manual I found online : https://www.farfisa.com/images/pdf/mi2298st.pdf. Might be best to get company to look at it, although fee does sound large. Would want to be sure that the problem is on your side and not in the building equipment. Maybe check the F2 (audio reception channel) connection to ensure that it is intact.

I would if I knew how to interpret that manual and understand where it's located!
    biketard wrote: »
    ^Back to this... have you tried fiddling with the switch (the thing that moves when you lift the handset up/put it back)? If you're getting some sound out of the speaker, but not the sound you're expecting, then it would seem to me the speaker itself is working, but it's not getting the right signal. Could be that part of the switch is not doing what it should so the phone is not totally passing the signal over to the speaker (of course it could be something completely different, but it's quick and easy to wiggle the switch a bit).

I had a look at the switch. Seems to be operating correctly, as far is I know. The two wires are almost like springs. When the receiver is lifted they're touching two separate contacts on the far left and far right. When depressed the leftmost wire is touching the central contact (3 contacts in total).

I can only assume that's the way it's supposed to operate?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭biketard

I had a look at the switch. Seems to be operating correctly, as far is I know. The two wires are almost like springs. When the receiver is lifted they're touching two separate contacts on the far left and far right. When depressed the leftmost wire is touching the central contact (3 contacts in total).

I can only assume that's the way it's supposed to operate?

Ah, fair enough. Sounds like there isn't much to the switch other than telling the circuit what position it's in.

Advertisement