Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replaced a radiator. Some painting touch up needed around new radiator.

Options
  • 12-11-2020 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I am an absolute painting noob. So this might be a silly question.

The landlord got somebody to replace a radiator today.

The old radiator was much larger, so now there's a section around the new radiator that's not the same color as the paint on the wall. I've only just moved in a few weeks ago. The room looks like it got a new paint job recently enough.

Here's a pic. Dotted line is where the new paint job ends. https://ibb.co/4mPHStf

Whoever painted previously just painted around the old radiator.

Now, do I have to paint the whole feckin room? Or can I just buy a little tin of paint and fill in that area?

Looks like a very common colour. Magnolia maybe? Creamy colour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

You can get the tiny little sample/tester pots to try: buy a few, in slightly different colours and test, to see the best match. Then get a little pot of the matched one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bizzare positioning it over the switch.

Surely painting is the landlords responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

I am an absolute painting noob. So this might be a silly question.

The landlord got somebody to replace a radiator today.

The old radiator was much larger, so now there's a section around the new radiator that's not the same color as the paint on the wall. I've only just moved in a few weeks ago. The room looks like it got a new paint job recently enough.

Here's a pic. Dotted line is where the new paint job ends. https://ibb.co/4mPHStf

Whoever painted previously just painted around the old radiator.

Now, do I have to paint the whole feckin room? Or can I just buy a little tin of paint and fill in that area?

Looks like a very common colour. Magnolia maybe? Creamy colour.

Unless you have the original bucket of paint you'll need to do the whole room if you don't want a slight difference in colour to be noticed or you could paint that wall a different colour all together as a 'feature wall' - good lazy option lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

colm_mcm wrote: »

I probably annoyed him asking for a new radiator. I'd like to try sort this myself.
    grayzer75 wrote: »
    Unless you have the original bucket of paint you'll need to do the whole room if you don't want a slight difference in colour to be noticed or you could paint that wall a different colour all together as a 'feature wall' - good lazy option lol.

Unfortunately there's already a "feature wall" opposite the radiator.

I have a chip off the wall with the paint colour. Bit of the wall fell off when he removed the old radiator. Can I not bring that to a paint shop and ask for the exact same color?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Can I not bring that to a paint shop and ask for the exact same color?

It'll never be the exact same colour unfortunately. There's a chance it may not be noticeable to anybody but yourself so it may be worth a try - you've nothing to lose really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Bizzare positioning it over the switch.

I don’t think the landlord would be obliged or arsed to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

ask the landlord have they any paint that matchs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

If you go to a good paint shop, you can bring in some of the original paint chips ( NOT B&Q or Woodies or th like), they will have a spectrophotometer and should be able to get a 99% match. Make sure they dry it first so you can compare like with like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Did you try washing the patch...?

Advertisement