Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Hot Water

Options
  • 12-11-2020 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2nd hand house - built 2005.

Oil Fired Central Heating - boiler located outside.

Cold water tank in the attic, hot water tank in hot press. 2 Stoves but I’m pretty sure neither have back boilers.

It is a pressurised system. When I bought the house, the automatic filler on the expansion tank was turned off and the pressure was not much above zero. I pressurised the system to just over 1 bar, bled all the rads and repressurised it back up to just over 1 bar. Note: the expansion tank seems to be on the same pipe that feeds the hot water cylinder heating coil.

All the radiators are heating up fine.

However – I have absolutely no hot water from the tank – the pipes that feed the heating coil in the tank remain cold. (Electric Immersion heater does work however)

The heating system is controlled by a retrofitted ‘NEVE RF’ touchscreen wireless module – however this seems to be just a fancy on / off timer switch – it doesn’t control zones or anything else (although I don’t think there are any zones)

I have done some Googling and ‘diverter valves’ keep coming up. Does a heating system like mine have a diverter valve? As far as I can see, there is only one hot water pipe coming from the boiler so I doubt there is one on the boiler?

Any other suggestions as to what could be the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You should first check the basics - is there a feed coming in to the bottom of the hot water tank, if yes thats your cold water feed to the coil. If its closed then nothing will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

frosty90 wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently purchased a 2nd hand house - built 2005.

Oil Fired Central Heating - boiler located outside.

Cold water tank in the attic, hot water tank in hot press. 2 Stoves but I’m pretty sure neither have back boilers.

It is a pressurised system. When I bought the house, the automatic filler on the expansion tank was turned off and the pressure was not much above zero. I pressurised the system to just over 1 bar, bled all the rads and repressurised it back up to just over 1 bar. Note: the expansion tank seems to be on the same pipe that feeds the hot water cylinder heating coil.

All the radiators are heating up fine.

However – I have absolutely no hot water from the tank – the pipes that feed the heating coil in the tank remain cold. (Electric Immersion heater does work however)

The heating system is controlled by a retrofitted ‘NEVE RF’ touchscreen wireless module – however this seems to be just a fancy on / off timer switch – it doesn’t control zones or anything else (although I don’t think there are any zones)

I have done some Googling and ‘diverter valves’ keep coming up. Does a heating system like mine have a diverter valve? As far as I can see, there is only one hot water pipe coming from the boiler so I doubt there is one on the boiler?

Any other suggestions as to what could be the problem?

Also check out the design on this , yours sound like it should be similar

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058131158

It also sounds open vented.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 frosty90

listermint wrote: »
    You should first check the basics - is there a feed coming in to the bottom of the hot water tank, if yes thats your cold water feed to the coil. If its closed then nothing will work.

Thanks - yes this valve is open.

Advertisement