Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Delonghi esam extraction time

Options
  • 12-11-2020 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Have had this machine now for 6 years, and was always able to get a decent extraction time of 20-25 seconds or so but of late I can't get it past 15 seconds tops no matter what I play around with in terms of coffee volume, water etc (have grind at its finest). Is it possible at this stage the burrs are too blunt and not grinding fine enough anymore? Any ideas of anything else to try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Have you tried using pre ground to see if it's any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Have you changed the beans you buy recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Have you changed the beans you buy recently?

Yeah I change beans all the time, and it's teh same for the last 5 or 6 types

Never tried pre-ground in the machine so will have to dig the manual out but that's a good shout - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Yeah I change beans all the time, and it's teh same for the last 5 or 6 types

Never tried pre-ground in the machine so will have to dig the manual out but that's a good shout - thanks!
    It's probably the most unused feature on them tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

I would say , it is low-density beans .

• Advertisement

alec76 wrote: »
    I would say , it is low-density beans .

Even though I've tried 5 or 6 types? Are they that common!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

What does this mean? I’ve the edam too but unsure what you mean by extraction time.

jarvis wrote: »
    What does this mean? I’ve the edam too but unsure what you mean by extraction time.

How long it takes to brew a shot from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

How long it takes to brew a shot from start to finish

So this poster is complaining that it’s being completed faster than previously? Why would that be a problem?

jarvis wrote: »
    So this poster is complaining that it’s being completed faster than previously? Why would that be a problem?
    Trying to pull as best espresso shots as possible, I suppose.
    Extraction time has significantly impact on coffee taste.

• Advertisement

Even though I've tried 5 or 6 types? Are they that common!

Not really, no. Where did you get them?

Not really, no. Where did you get them?

2 different ones from bailies at the moment (Guatamala & Brazil), 2 from Bell Lane before that (different blends), cheapo from Lidl (ran out!), and 1kg of brazilian bean from WCC

Lidl’s meant to be fast , but the rest ....
    I would try
    Puly Grind Cristalli Coffee Grinder Cleaner
    first

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Caviar,

What settings do you have on grinder and turn knobs to front. Do we know how many grams it grinds for a shot in these machines?

What was your usual extraction time before this problem cropped up. I wonder can you stick an aul hoover on top of grinder, it might be clogged

mad m wrote: »
    Caviar,

What settings do you have on grinder and turn knobs to front. Do we know how many grams it grinds for a shot in these machines?

What was your usual extraction time before this problem cropped up. I wonder can you stick an aul hoover on top of grinder, it might be clogged

Thanks for these - might try a good clean though it looks ok.

I would have been able to get 20-25 seconds depending on beans, settings and fiddling

AT the moment I'm going off water at about 10 o'clock and beans about about 2 o'clock, and getting about 35mls out in the shot, but it's quite weak. I have tried all variations though with a lot more/less beans, and more water etc.

Like I say it's a recent issue - just seems impossible to get above 15 seconds at best!

Will try and give that grinder cleaner a go alec - thanks. I presume it will still work on the grinder even though it's a bean to cup and not a separate "proper" grinder or anything?

mad m wrote: »
    Do we know how many grams it grinds for a shot in these machines?

I was wondering myself when I had one.
    Around 14g at max settings I would say.

Will try and give that grinder cleaner a go alec - thanks. I presume it will still work on the grinder even though it's a bean to cup and not a separate "proper" grinder or anything?

Should do the trick.
    some local link found with Google
    https://www.coffeeclick.ie/product/puly-grind-cristalli-coffee-grinder-cleaner/
    Maybe it is time for upgrade anyway?
    Bean to cup will never do good espresso, regardless how expensive machine is.
    I had cheap Delonghi bean to cup years ago , changed it to semiautomatic, best thing happened to me. Friend of mine still has Delongi BeanToCup , top of the line , paid over €1500 ...and it is no better than one I had in terms of the shot quality.

Should do the trick.
    some local link found with Google
    https://www.coffeeclick.ie/product/puly-grind-cristalli-coffee-grinder-cleaner/
    Maybe it is time for upgrade anyway?
    Bean to cup will never do good espresso, regardless how expensive machine is.
    I had cheap Delonghi bean to cup years ago , changed it to semiautomatic, best thing happened to me. Friend of mine still has Delongi BeanToCup , top of the line , paid over €1500 ...and it is no better than one I had in terms of the shot quality.

Yeah I am actually thinking of going with a good grinder (wilfa svart or similar) and french press or hario, filter etc. I only ever drink americanos so probably another brew method may even be a better fit. Could probably get it all in for pretty reasonable and more counter space back to boot!

Advertisement