Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Textrol, Osmo or other for treated softwood cladding ?

Options
  • 11-11-2020 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Just finishing covering my blockwork garden walls with horizontal timber cladding - standard treated rough 4 x 1 and 2 x 1 white deal on treated verticals. 4mm joints between timbers. The bulk of it is south facing and has lightened up nicely. However, we'd like to preserve the colour as it is now with a clear treatment. I have been using Protim on cut ends etc but does not have UV protection. From searching previous posts, it seems Textrol or Osmo are 2 options. Textrol cheaper at 39e per 2.5l with Osmo at 60e for 2.5l. Anything else out there ? Buy cheap, buy twice is a saying I am relating to more as I get older so willing to avoid the cheap other stuff on the market.
    It might not be practical to do at this time of the year but I's like to have a plan in place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Owatrol say that new wood should be treated with Seasonite in the first year as the wood weathers before Textrol is applied to the weathered wood.

I don't know whether that Seasonite step is really necessary with pressure treated timber but the waiting will probably produce a better result.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Thanks for reply. Called into a well known stockist of Textrol products yesterday who advised not to use Seasonite and go for Textrol. Clear out of stock at the moment but more to come in. Will see what the weather brings, would like to get done this side of Christmas ideally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I normally buy Textrol online, but have to pay for delivery. Thats because local supplier wanted to charge me his delivery charge on top of the normal price. Just checked now and owatrol.ie seem to be out of stock of all sizes of Textrol. I'd be surprised if you can get 2.5l for €39.

I've used Seasonite on untreated and treated timber and it does seem to make a difference but not much. Plus after a few years I can't tell the difference between the wood that was treated with Seasonite first that that which wasn't.

I'm a fan of Textrol but never used Osmo but would love to hear from anyone that has.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Plus vat of course !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Lot more expensive but if you can't get it anywhere else then try Amazon they have a couple of sellers with it in stock by the look of it and some Prime for free delivery.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement