Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding led lights in a shed

Options
  • 11-11-2020 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

I have some double .75 gauge cable and was going to use it to add two 60 watt led wall lamps to shed. Would it do the job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

What size circuit breaker is on the circuit or are you running it off a fused spur?

Unless the cable is suitably protected via an adequately rated circuit breaker or fuse then it is not safe to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

What size circuit breaker is on the circuit or are you running it off a fused spur?

Unless the cable is suitably protected via an adequately rated circuit breaker or fuse then it is not safe to use it.

I am just adding 2 more lights to existing light that was there already so I have now 3 lights instead of 1 I will have 60 watt led bulbs in 3 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

With the greatest of respect, if you have to ask the question you probably shouldn't be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How big is the shed ? They are pretty big LEDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

60w LED? You trying to light up a football field?
    If as I assume you are talking about 60w equivalent (so maybe 9w LED bulb)...

Anyways, either way, you are fine with the 0.75mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Lumen wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect, if you have to ask the question you probably shouldn't be doing it.
    Don't be smart this is a DIY forum and I am looking for a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

popa smurf wrote: »
    Don't be smart this is a DIY forum and I am looking for a second opinion.
    And there's no need to be defensive, I'm just offering my opinion.

FWIW my personal preference in this application (a shed) is to wire LED lights using low voltage DC (12V or 24V) and limit the mains runs to a short distance between fuse box and a single well-speciifed transformer. There's no need to be running mains cable for lighting in 2020, although you do have to be careful about voltage drop.

But I'm not an electrician and know my limits. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

Go get some 1.5mm^2 cable and do it right. Existing light circuit is most likely protected by a 10A breaker (you should confirm this). You don't size the cable on what might be drawn from the light, rather you ensure it is capable of carrying more load than the breaker allows.

Someone could come along in years to come and put in a bigger/different light that will overload the 0.75 cable.

Advertisement