Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help understanding my house plumbing

Options
  • 11-11-2020 8:34pm

I've attached a sketch of my hotpress & attic plumbing.
    Boilier is located away in the garage.

The oil heats the cylinder and I'd like to stop this and only use the electric immersion.
    I plan on putting a valve at location 1 or 2.
    Either should do the same job yes?

The old stove is not used. The stove itself would heat up when the heating was on so I fitted a valve to stop that happening. I understand the dangers of lighting it.

Is there a direction of flow in the coil ?
    Bottom to top or top to bottom ?

I'm a sparks and I cant understand plumbing,I said to the missus once I hate plumbing because you cant see whats happening inside the pipes.
    "just like electricity in wires" she reminded me!

Heres my setup.
    Thanks

plumbing.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

A valve on either position will stop the oil heating the hot water. Curious to know why you'd want to use the immersion for heating the water instead of oil, considering how much cheaper oil is atm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd use 1.

I do understand the need for zonal control of the heating in terms of not heating the tank. But the question does remain why use it right now .It's far more cheaper to heat your tank with the oil especially at this time of year when you are running it anyway.

A better thing to do would be to balance all your radiators and look into a power flush. I'm assuming you are doing this because you believe the tank is taking heat away from the rest of the system?

listermint wrote: »
    I'd use 1.

I do understand the need for zonal control of the heating in terms of not heating the tank

What does using the immersion have to do with zonal control?

Thanks,
    I will fit the the valve at 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

wilser wrote: »
    What does using the immersion have to do with zonal control?

Zonal control means shutting off sections of the heating that you do not require which includes heating the hot water tank from heating system

I never mentioned immersion in my post, Why would you mention it back to me ? :confused:

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Zonal control means shutting off sections of the heating that you do not require which includes heating the hot water tank from heating system

I never mentioned immersion in my post, Why would you mention it back to me ? :confused:

The op was looking to use the immersion to heat the hot water instead of oil.

Advertisement