Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing broadband provider anually?

Options
  • 11-11-2020 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else do this? Thinking of signing up for a year of Sky, then Virgin when the introductory period runs out. And keep repeating. Seems you'd save a considerable amount.
    But is it worth the hassle with trying to cancel, trying to keep continuity of service, having engineers out?

Has anyone done this, and how have your experiences been?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Always ring up. Probably stay if offer is close to other providers if service is reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

For me it's just a hassle, they make it difficult for you to just jump around, there's always other terms you need to dig deep into first. That said, when the year is up and you call them telling them you want to change, they will usually offer you some other kind of discount deal. Sky at least do this usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Blisterman wrote: »
    Does anyone else do this? Thinking of signing up for a year of Sky, then Virgin when the introductory period runs out. And keep repeating. Seems you'd save a considerable amount.
    But is it worth the hassle with trying to cancel, trying to keep continuity of service, having engineers out?

Has anyone done this, and how have your experiences been?

I've been doing it for a few years. Since going onto FTTC, I've been with Pure, Eir and Vodafone now. Gonna start looking again next week.

They're all the same from the exchange through the cabinet to the house. Their back-hauls infrastructures differ. For me, it usually halves my 12 month+ monthly charge for the next 6 months or a year. Theres little hassle involved-just get the new lads to handle the switch-over.

However, bear in mind that you usually are paying a month in advance for the basics, so time your transfer to ensure you dont pay 2 suppliers for the same month.

When budgets are tight, every penny counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The trick is to make sure you give your month's termination notice just under a month before you switch. Because if you switch without prior notice then you're going to be liable for an additional month's rental because most/all providers require 30 days notice even out of contract. Also, be aware that the local exchange only have a fixed number of fibre connections, so if you switch to VM and that local exchange fills up, you may find you won't get fibre speeds when it comes time to switching back to any other provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Yep, do it every year, same for gas, electricity, mobile, car insurance, home insurance, mortgage etc.

Sit down with a laptop and large pot of coffee once a year and you'll save a fortune over a few years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

15 years with VM and all their previous namesakes. Wouldn’t contemplate a move until Siro comes up in my area. Best network bar none for me.

Having had to go to court with Eir VM have been nothing but stellar. Granted I’ve a line issue that last few months and got ****ed around on engineer shedulijg recently, I’ll cut them a break as they are flat out prioritizing the 2gb customer issues.

Sometimes it pays itself to have reliability and just no hassle. I don’t know how people value the time swiping everything ever year to save a few quid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Normally switch back and forward between Eir, Sky and Vodafone. I just put a reminder in the calendar when signing up of the new termination date and the new UAN number and make the calls or check the offers nearer the time. In fairness I've only been messed around once and that was when Vodafone cocked up on the change over, so I cancelled within the cooling off period and went to second choice Sky. Currently with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Virgin will usually give loyal customers a discount each year if you ask. You won't get that with eir but eir are considerably cheaper to begin with. I always look for the best deal each year. Was always with virgin/upc/ntl but I moved to eir last year. Service has been fine but customer service/billing is a total sh*t show. Will need to be a very good deal from them at the next renewal to tempt me to stay.

Advertisement