Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthcare Assistant progression

Options
  • 11-11-2020 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently doing a QQI Level 5 in Healthcare. I am wondering what careers/jobs can I progress too other than looking after older people in hospitals or homes etc. What other career/ direct jobs would be available to progress into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,714 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you prepared to do more study? Without it, you can perhaps get into caregiving team-leader roles (maybe), but likely to much else apart from jobs like shop-assistant / delivery driver / waiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

If you are hired by the HSE as a carer, then they offer sponsorship programs for nursing and midwifery. This may be a long-term option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

Do you have any career progression in mind?

Generally for HCA's the entry level work (worst paid and toughest conditions) is home care and private nursing homes to build up experience.

You could (and should) progress to a HSE hospital to get experience, better pay and conditions. Alternatively progress to one of the large private hospitals.

Some HCA's then go on to do things like work as endoscopy techs or still working as HCA's but in a more specific role such as theater but the pay isn't all that different.

Beyond that unfortunately the pickings are slim. Progress to nursing or some other healthcare area. Of course you need to do the training that goes with it.

HCA is a brilliant starting point to get experience. Just keep trying to move up the ladder once you've got some confidence and don't get trapped in a private nursing home.

If care of the elderly is something you genuinely love try get into a HSE long term care facility/nursing home.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

I would definitely avoid nursing homes. I know a few people working in them and the pay is dire and working conditions tough as these are run for profit so they are generally understaffed.

Working as a HCA in a HSE hospital is much better paid, your pay will go up annually starting around basic 28k to about 36k, however with double pay Sundays and night premiums your pay is significantly more.

Re nursing, yes, you can be sponsored but you have to have been employed for two years within the HSE and you have to pass the nursing exam for mature students. Competition is tough as well as there is a limited number of sponsorships.

You could do a fetac 6 but I'm not sure how much scope there is for additional jobs with that qualification.

Advertisement