Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footpath drainage

Options
  • 11-11-2020 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Hi having a big problem with drainage in the back garden ..there is a footpath sloped down to the shed and water pools around entrance to the shed ..im think of digging up a hole in the path and putting in a french drain with stones with grate with grate ...How feasible is this ??
    there is also a oil tank behind the fence shown in picture so i would have to be careful of the piping ..Any advice would be great thanks ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

See pic attached

see pic below

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭john jameson

If the ground behind your boundary fence is a little lower your laughing. I'd just drain that water away like u said ..dig a deep enough trench you can get a length of 2inch drainage pipe if it suited u to do that some drainage stone around it finish off with top soil if on your lawn and job be a good one.

Its actually a concreted area so will be hard to put d
    own piping..im trying to post a picture but i keep getting told the file is too big

Its actually a concreted area so will be hard to put d
    own piping..im trying to post a picture but i keep getting told the file is too big

My front garden is typical of one in the middle of an estate.
    Foot path one side boundary walls on 2 sides and a drive way.. so what I done was to rid it of surface water was I went down ...I dug a soak pit in the middle of the garden about 24 inches deep and the square area of a pallet..I done as described earlier I placed drainage pipe all way around covered it with weed membrane and drainage stone and the pipe all led back to the soak pit it was a bit excessive but that's me.
    Pictures would be helpful I'm sure there is a solution to your problem!!

• Advertisement

Picture should be attached

this image maybe better

Its a real nightmare and anytime we try to hose the area all the water just pools there..That is also the area where the dog goes to the toilet which makes it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Is there a lawn to the left of the path ?
    Would you consider an aco type drainage channel which I think come in 1m lengths and you can cut to suit with of path (€15 ea).
    Cut 2 neat lines in concrete with consaw.
    Pipe to a small soakaway assuming you don't have any existing surface water pipes nearby to connect to.

It's difficult to suggest solutions as the picture only shows where its pooling. Looking at the picture what is to the right and to the left?? I did have similar issue to you where water was pooling in front of my shed after very heavy rain ...but I cut a channel between my foot path and concrete I had layed and scraped out the soil deep enough that I back filled it with concrete and taped it with a 2x1 lat ..so when the water flows in to the channel its runs along concrete till it exits it's hard to explain but il try get a picture later.

• Advertisement

It's difficult to suggest solutions as the picture only shows where its pooling. Looking at the picture what is to the right and to the left?? I did have similar issue to you where water was pooling in front of my shed after very heavy rain ...but I cut a channel between my foot path and concrete I had layed and scraped out the soil deep enough that I back filled it with concrete and taped it with a 2x1 lat ..so when the water flows in to the channel its runs along concrete till it exits it's hard to explain but il try get a picture later.

The picture might help explain the back fill with concrete ... it's a smooth surface for the water to run along when it falls in to the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Couple of wider angle photos would help, dont quite follow the sketch

Advertisement