Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Gun safe location

  • 11-11-2020 2:43pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ johnogog88


    Hi lads, just putting in a gun safe that will be inspected this week.ive a shed out the back of my house and was wondering can I bolt it to the floor and wall in there? Would it pass inspection? Thanks


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ alanmc


    johnogog88 wrote: »
    Hi lads, just putting in a gun safe that will be inspected this week.ive a shed out the back of my house and was wondering can I bolt it to the floor and wall in there? Would it pass inspection? Thanks

    A few things. I wouldn't store my rifles outside ... even in a shed. They like to be warm and dry. Rust is the silent killer of your firearms.
    Secondly, is the shed your standard wooden frame affair? If so, then bolting it to the wall of the shed is not sufficient. If the floor of the shed is a concrete slab, then it would be ok.

    But .... and some others can correct me if I'm wrong here, I think the building that the safe is in has to have sufficient locks on it as well.

    If you can find a space in the house at all with some concrete wall real estate, this is where the safe should go.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    The guidelines say the safe must be bolted to the fabric of the house. If your house is timber framed, then they will accept that. A lad i shoot with was worried about the same thing when he moved, and he was passed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ johnogog88


    Thanks for the responses.the shed is brickwall with double doors that have padlock on it floor is concrete also. I asked my firearms dealer who said legislation just says fixed to a solid structure just thought I'd get some of your experiences first. Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ The pigeon man


    I'd have the safe in the house concealed. If you have it in the the shed you'll have a huge battle keeping the temperature stable and humidity low.

    Also the gardaí may not be happy with it outside the house.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭ BattleCorp


    Any solid structure is fine. The link to the legislation is below. As legislation goes, it's quite easy to follow.

    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/307/made/en/print

    That said, I wouldn't dream of putting my firearms in a shed unless it was built to the same standard as my house and has heating in it. As was mentioned already, you'd be surprised how just one Winter in a shed can seriously damage your guns.

    And I'd be surprised if your CPO would be happy with the safe being in a shed. It's not against the law but it's not the most secure either. A padlock is easily broken. There's a small chance that the CPO/Super might recommend that you to stick an alarm and/or a better door/lock on the shed if you go down that route. The legislation I quoted is the minimum standard and the CPO/Super can insist on security of a higher level than that mentioned in the legislation.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭ dodderangler


    I'm waiting a month for them to inspect my new safe for my new rifle and no word. Covid is apparently holding it up with personel being very busy and short staffed etc.
    Wont grant my licence without safe inspection approval


  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ johnogog88


    I'm waiting a month for them to inspect my new safe for my new rifle and no word. Covid is apparently holding it up with personel being very busy and short staffed etc.
    Wont grant my licence without safe inspection approval
    Lucky enough I haven't had that problem mine wanted to come out that day.hopefully you get sorted soon


  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ EoghanS


    i recently spoke to the Crime Prevention Lad in my district, after speaking to the FO.
    asked could i position a new/replacement safe in the home office in a block built structure (shed) at the rear, with the usual detectors etc.
    in fairness he went and did the research and was told not a chance, and that if its not in the main dwelling it would constitute a breach of the storage regulation and license would be revoked.
    he was very nice and wasn't threatening anything, and did thank me for asking the question?
    DMR Region


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭ BattleCorp


    EoghanS wrote: »
    i recently spoke to the Crime Prevention Lad in my district, after speaking to the FO.
    asked could i position a new/replacement safe in the home office in a block built structure (shed) at the rear, with the usual detectors etc.
    in fairness he went and did the research and was told not a chance, and that if its not in the main dwelling it would constitute a breach of the storage regulation and license would be revoked.
    he was very nice and wasn't threatening anything, and did thank me for asking the question?
    DMR Region

    I have respect for the Gardai but in this instance I reckon he was (and I'm being very polite here) mistaken.

    Below is the link to S.I. No. 307/2009 - Firearms (Secure Accommodation) Regulations 2009

    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/307/made/en/print

    No mention whatsoever of the safe having to be in the main dwelling. Or any kind of dwelling for that matter.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    BattleCorp wrote: »
    I have respect for the Gardai but in this instance I reckon he was (and I'm being very polite here) mistaken.

    Below is the link to S.I. No. 307/2009 - Firearms (Secure Accommodation) Regulations 2009

    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/307/made/en/print

    No mention whatsoever of the safe having to be in the main dwelling. Or any kind of dwelling for that matter.

    Garda policy trumps the law of the land don't ya know :rolleyes:


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ johnogog88


    Update guys:firearms officer came out to house and inspected the garage and safe and said it passes to her standard once it's bolted to a solid structure.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ alanmc


    johnogog88 wrote: »
    Update guys:firearms officer came out to house and inspected the garage and safe and said it passes to her standard once it's bolted to a solid structure.

    Good stuff.

    Question is, are you happy enough leaving your gun out there? Is the shed weather tight? Heated? It's going to be difficult ton control humidity in a shed if it is neither.

    Look into a dehumidifying solution. You can get heated elements for your safe. Or little rechargeable dehumidifier cassettes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭ BattleCorp


    johnogog88 wrote: »
    Update guys:firearms officer came out to house and inspected the garage and safe and said it passes to her standard once it's bolted to a solid structure.

    So much for the advice given by the Garda below.
    EoghanS wrote: »
    i recently spoke to the Crime Prevention Lad in my district, after speaking to the FO.
    asked could i position a new/replacement safe in the home office in a block built structure (shed) at the rear, with the usual detectors etc.
    in fairness he went and did the research and was told not a chance, and that if its not in the main dwelling it would constitute a breach of the storage regulation and license would be revoked.
    he was very nice and wasn't threatening anything, and did thank me for asking the question?
    DMR Region


  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ johnogog88


    alanmc wrote: »
    Good stuff.

    Question is, are you happy enough leaving your gun out there? Is the shed weather tight? Heated? It's going to be difficult ton control humidity in a shed if it is neither.

    Look into a dehumidifying solution. You can get heated elements for your safe. Or little rechargeable dehumidifier cassettes.

    The garage would be well insulted with heaters running during the day but I have bought mini dehumidifiers for gun safes from my dealer just to be safe. I will also be cleaning and oiling them regularly most weekends.if it dosent work out will look into moving them inside. Thanks for your comment :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ alanmc


    Good stuff. Sounds like you're all set. Happy shooting.


  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ johnogog88


    alanmc wrote: »
    Good stuff. Sounds like you're all set. Happy shooting.

    Thanks Alan ðŸ‘


Advertisement