Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing system to show FTTH elegibility when fibre box out on road?

Options
  • 11-11-2020 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

None of the eircodes in our estate show as being eligible for fibre. However, you can see the black fibre box on the pole on the other side of the road at the entrance to our estate and the house across the road from e the entrance is eligible for fibre and has placed an order.

A KN engineer has said that the existing copper wires for our estate come from that same pole under the road to a manhole cover at our entrance. There are existing ducts in our estate also. So there's no reason fibre could not be routed from that pole to our houses. But we are blocked because the system does not show eligibility.

Has anyone been able to get the system to change to show fibre is available in a similar situation?

Any advice appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That ODP may be full, if you're _all_ excluded it sounds more likely to be correct and not a surveying error.

Are you in an NBI orange intervention area? If so they won't serve you yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotAnotherOrange

ED E wrote: »
    That ODP may be full, if you're _all_ excluded it sounds more likely to be correct and not a surveying error.

Are you in an NBI orange intervention area? If so they won't serve you yet.

Can't tell you how frustrating this is, and it's really hard to talk to OpenEir (impossible really).

Similar situation here, DPs installed and provided for certain sections of the estate but not others.

And we're all in the intervention area, even those that have now been supplied FTTH by OpenEir. But they won't budge on the rest of us.

Houses 10-15 seconds away me with FTTH while I have 10mb down, 1 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭boardtc

Google did not help me with ODP, not sure what it refers to?

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/coverage-map/ shows as available now for the area. https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ is all green houses on the rural fibre route marked but our estate next to the road is not marked.

I did not know about the https://nbi.ie/map/ map. The neighbour across the road who is getting fibre shows as orange "Your premises is not in the Intervention Area, as other service providers operate there." So how can he be getting it installed?

Our estate a stone's throw away shows as green "Your premises is included in the Intervention Area." What does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eric559911

Hi, looking for help.

FTTH is on my road and the nearest pole with fibre is approx 30m (1/2 poles away).
    Did you happen to get anywhere with install?
    Eir technician said I should be able to and customer care didn't say say provide the service. That they cable infrastructure needs to be in place before going to eir.

Stuck for fast Internet with working from home trying to find help on solution

Nothing here, if eir code does not show on website/database as eligible there's no chance...how to get the value changed in the database is a black art I think :mad:

• Advertisement

Regarding Eircode not showing on their system. I had this issue and contacted GeoDirectory here.

A few days later after I got a call from a bloke in An Post who maintains the database. About a month or so later my Eircode started showing in OpenEir and Google maps.

Thanks, Mr Grumble, I explained badly, my eircode shows alright but it returns as not eligible for FTH in our estate even though the rest of the village can get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

ODP = Optical Distribution Point i.e. the black box.

Inside this box 32 cables can be connected (split). Some boxes take 16, some take 64. So only 32/16/64 houses can be connected to a single box. In an estate it needs to be all or nothing otherwise they have to cherry pick which houses to connect or choose to connect say the houses closer to the box.

It's a problem with FTTH. It's not really a location thing anymore it really comes down to how many houses are around you and have to share the same fibre.

@alan4cult great info! I assume the from the outside there's no way of knowing if the box can support 16/32/64? Our estate has 16 houses.

16 is very rare, usually it's 32. 64 is on the way for next generation fibre.
    I guess the plan with your estate might be to deploy another box just for the 16 houses, but if the ODP nearest you is not full then I'm not sure why they did not allow you to connect to the existing.

Not sure what you can do only contact your local TD, I had to keep contacting providers to get me connected and eventually after about 3 months they moved my Eircode to the ODP outside my house, it's a slow process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

boardtc wrote: »
    @alan4cult great info! I assume the from the outside there's no way of knowing if the box can support 16/32/64? Our estate has 16 houses.

You are being misled both here and from KN "engineers" by people who don't fully understand what they are talking about.

You need to understand how these networks are built. The distribution point across the road has been installed as part of a design for a specific set of premises. Your home has nothing to do with it. You cannot get connected to it.

You say you are part of an estate of sixteen houses. It would require Openeir to have a plan for your estate and then install the required infrastructure for you to get service. They may or may not have such a plan. They are unlikely to tell you ifbthey do and you definitely will not compel them to connect you if they don't have such a plan. Only when they have installed the infrastructure would you be added to an eligibility database.

You also state that you are part of the NBI intervention. This means you will likely get a fibre connection from NBI. The only issue there is that it may be up to seven years depending on where you fall in their build plan. There is a dedicated thread here for the NBI rollout where you can get more information.

@NBAiii on the ground it can be more fluid though. My neighbour across the road at the entrance to our estate in November '20 dug a channel across his front garden and ran his own fibre infrastructure from his router to the telephone pole at the edge of his property. KN then ran an overhead cable from the telephone cable by the road with the fibre box to this other pole and connected to his cable. Now he has FTTH, consistent 140Mb

Also had my ODP changed and ran my own ducts. On the ground it is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

@NBAiii on the ground it can be more fluid though. My neighbour across the road at the entrance to our estate in November '20 dug a channel across his front garden and ran his own fibre infrastructure from his router to the telephone pole at the edge of his property. KN then ran an overhead cable from the telephone cable by the road with the fibre box to this other pole and connected to his cable. Now he has FTTH, consistent 140Mb

I know it can be frustrating having decent connectivity seem so close yet far away but I was just trying to give you some realisitc perspective of where I believe you stand.

In your neighbours case it sounds like Openeir had always intended that he would be covered or passed as they call it. Otherwise he would not have been able to order. The fact that he had to run some ducting on his own property is immaterial.

In your case there is presumably builder installed duct which may need extra fibre specific sub-duct installed under a road in an estate then further duct under what is presumably a public road to a pole where there is a distribution point that was never intended to serve your estate. The two cases are in no way comparable.

Feel free to ignore my advice if you wish but the fact that you are now showing in an NBI intervention area will give Openeir yet another excuse to do nothing unless they wish to do so.

NBAiii wrote: »
    I know it can be frustrating having decent connectivity seem so close yet far away but I was just trying to give you some realisitc perspective of where I believe you stand.

In your neighbours case it sounds like Openeir had always intended that he would be covered or passed as they call it. Otherwise he would not have been able to order. The fact that he had to run some ducting on his own property is immaterial.

In your case there is presumably builder installed duct which may need extra fibre specific sub-duct installed under a road in an estate then further duct under what is presumably a public road to a pole where there is a distribution point that was never intended to serve your estate. The two cases are in no way comparable.

Feel free to ignore my advice if you wish but the fact that you are now showing in an NBI intervention area will give Openeir yet another excuse to do nothing unless they wish to do so.

Your advice is spot on and this is the situation I am in. Newly built estate constructed after fibre roll out and our 1 and only DP is full.

There is absolutely no process in place to register a new estate with OpenEir and get the necessary work done (DP installation etc).

We have no broadband and with no process in place to do anything about it we never will have broadband.

NBI will not do anything either because we are in a fibre area. Even their process is flawed because they fail to acknowledge estates that are built post fibre rollout and therefore not on the plans to get connected.

Its the fact that there is no process in place to do anything about it that socks.

Have you tried contacting your local TD? Mayo County Council had a big push on situations like recently.

@alan4cult my neighbour had the KN engineer's number and I just rang him, he said the box was for 4 or 8 houses! :-(

I tried to take a picture of the box at the top of the pole:
    vQTHet.jpg

His only advice was to try Vodafone/sky or eir shop...

Unfortunately, after the last Longford/Westmeath election, we have no local TD.

I've emailed the department of communications about my predicament. I've to allow 28 days for a reply with a delay on top of that due to covid.

Surely someone has thought of this already. Whats the chances they can call openeir and tell them to audit the DP, remove unused line and/or upgrade it to accommodate more connections.

It seriously is beyond frustrating. Only in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

alan4cult wrote: »
    16 is very rare, usually it's 32. 64 is on the way for next generation fibre.
    I guess the plan with your estate might be to deploy another box just for the 16 houses, but if the ODP nearest you is not full then I'm not sure why they did not allow you to connect to the existing.

Not sure what you can do only contact your local TD, I had to keep contacting providers to get me connected and eventually after about 3 months they moved my Eircode to the ODP outside my house, it's a slow process.

Just because one strand supports 32 subs doesnt mean it supports 32 off a single DP. They may have allocated one strand to serve 4 poles.

It sounds like there are DPs on the road to serve the immediate roadway and they didnt supply capacity for the estate in this phase. Our estate has one pole for about every 6 homes.

Advertisement