Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BIK exemption on electric vehicles

Options
  • 11-11-2020 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I understand this may be a ‘taxation’ query, but I believe it is probably more suited to the EV forum, and more likely to get a response here.

I am contemplating switching to an electric vehicle for my next company car and understand the various BIK exemptions available. What I am unclear on however is the duration of these exemptions.

If I take say a three year lease, will the exemption be valid for the period of the lease, on the basis that the vehicle was ‘first made available’ in the 2021 calendar year, or could I be liable to pay BIK if the government did not extend this on an ongoing basis? The likelihood is that I will have to supplement the lease cost with my employer, so I don’t want to have BIK come back in to play later on in the lease.

Any advice or experience from the knowledgeable members here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its been asked a few times on here. There is a thread on it. Its not entirely clear what the situation is until we see the finance bill from the budget just gone.

It seems that the exemption has an end date and BIK would be liable after that date regardless of when you bought the car but we need to see the finance bill to see if they extended that date or not. I believe a new BIK scheme is to come into operation in 2023.

Go to the end of this thread for some opinions on it..
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057804824

Advertisement