Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting a 30 year old VHS WeddinVideo to a Cloud hosted file for long term storage

Options
  • 11-11-2020 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope this is the right place to post this, if not Mods please move / delete as appropriate.

I've a 30 year old wedding video on VHS which I'd like to get converted to an appropriate file format for long term cloud storage on Microsoft OneDrive and DropBox etc. I'll also save a couple of copies on USB drives to give to my children as backups and keepsakes for their own use in future.

If it's not against the forum charter (I did read it and didn't see a prohibition) can I get recommendations on how best to go about doing this i.e. what file format should I request which will be as future proof as possible, what quality should I look for the file to be converted to knowing the higher the quality the bigger the file will be and finally who do people recommend I use to get this done? I see video conversion services advertised but I can't really tell who has a quality service and who doesn't.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have. I'm Dublin based.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I got mine converted to DVD some years back. The file format is probably something I could rip to my PC and save it that way.

Not sure where in the country you are, but I used the Kodak shop in Navan Shopping Centre though I'm sure there's plenty others around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Homer

I have used this company in the past and found them very good.

https://www.crystalmedia.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭54and56

Homer wrote: »
    I have used this company in the past and found them very good.

https://www.crystalmedia.ie/

Thanks Homer, that's exactly the type of referral I'm looking for and they are relatively local to me so I'll contact them.

Advertisement