Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Safe

Options
  • 11-11-2020 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

I’m interested in installing a safe at home. Just with the uncertainty surrounding us I’d like to be of the ability to hold onto say a little bit more of a cash reserve / stockpile then usual and have somewhere to keep several important documents too.. I’d like something small and inconspicuous that could be bolted / affixed inside a wardrobe say onto the floor...

If anybody has experience of a type of safe, where to purchase, installation options I’d be grateful... thanks..

*Hope this is appropriate here as couldn’t see a more suitable forum but mods please move if necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

do you need it fire rated?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Would be preferable yep.

Something like this would be great..

https://www.allsafes.ie/store/Phoenix_Titan_FS1282K_Fire_Proof_Safe

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NIMAN wrote: »

Good value, though with the nature of the contents maybe preferable if it wasn’t free standing, the other was fixable to the floor which I like but thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 berenfloor

nice product

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Holding on to large sums of physical cash that can devalue is not sensible. If your concerned about goings on then you would best investing elsewhere gold or what not.

Keeping documents safe yes smart choice though.

Strumms wrote: »
    Good value, though with the nature of the contents maybe preferable if it wasn’t free standing, the other was fixable to the floor which I like but thanks. :)

Put it in the attic .

I don't think the other ones worth the markup. No chance.

You'll need access to this a handful of times a year.

listermint wrote: »
    Holding on to large sums of physical cash that can devalue is not sensible. If your concerned about goings on then you would best investing elsewhere gold or what not.

Keeping documents safe yes smart choice though.

Do not ‘invest’ in gold.

OP, if you’re buying a safe, buy one from a locksmith and listen to their advice.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Do not ‘invest’ in gold.

OP, if you’re buying a safe, buy one from a locksmith and listen to their advice.

So keep large sums of cash in your house....

So keep large sums of cash in your house....

People with large sums of cash know better than to ‘invest’ in gold. If you want instant liquidity, hold cash. If not, actually invest it or save it.

This doomsday prepper stuff about gold and silver is derisible redneck nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Strumms wrote: »
    Folks,

I’m interested in installing a safe at home. Just with the uncertainty surrounding us I’d like to be of the ability to hold onto say a little bit more of a cash reserve / stockpile then usual and have somewhere to keep several important documents too.. I’d like something small and inconspicuous that could be bolted / affixed inside a wardrobe say onto the floor...

If anybody has experience of a type of safe, where to purchase, installation options I’d be grateful... thanks..

*Hope this is appropriate here as couldn’t see a more suitable forum but mods please move if necessary.
    Get a small fireproof safe and fit in attic, measure attic trap door first to insure that it fits thru. Store all your valuable documents, cash reserves etc. in this safe.
    If you run a business and criminals may suspect that you hold large sums of cash in you home, fit a second cheap safe say in bedroom, leave small amount of cash in this safe + some cheap as chips jewelry etc. this will act as a decoy.
    Also leave good quality imitation jewelry like watches, rings etc. lying around on dressing tables and hide the genuine ones in shoe or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Fireproof bags are also handy. If your safe isn't rated very highly for fire protection then I would hope that documents in a fireproof bag would last a bit longer.

I really don't see any problem with having cash at home (if you have it spare) with the current stat of affairs with the banks and interest rates you aren't loosing out.

One thing I'd be careful of is local gossip, having a big sign written locksmiths van parked up on the drive or kids going to school saying we've got a new safe isn't going to help with security.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

It might be worth mentioning that there are many different fire ratings. The OP's link is to one that is NT Fire 17-60 PAPER which means its safe to store paper in it but that doesn't mean other stuff won't get fried (maybe baked) in a fire. The rating for paper means that the safe may still get to a temperature of 150 Centigrade during a fire and still pass. Better (more expensive) ratings are for Data 50 Centigrade and Diskette 30 Centigrade. http://www.fireproofsafes.co.uk/guide-to-fireproof-safes/fire-ratings-test-and-certificates/fire-tests/nt-fire-017-fire-test/

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Might be worth having a look at an ammunition safe. Lots of choice, good value, built to a minimum standard and usually they can be bolted to a wall and floor.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fireproof bags are also handy. If your safe isn't rated very highly for fire protection then I would hope that documents in a fireproof bag would last a bit longer.

Or a complete scam...

Might be worth having a look at an ammunition safe. Lots of choice, good value, built to a minimum standard and usually they can be bolted to a wall and floor.

Thanks, that’s good advice, The ability to bolt onto wall / floor is perfect
    ... and to everybody who replied..thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Put it in the attic.

shallow_1744922c.jpg

Advertisement