Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Horizon box

Options
  • 10-11-2020 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Does anybody else have the terrible problems I have using the remote control for the Virgin Horizon box? I'm finding it just doesn't accept button presses a lot of the time. It's very frustrating trying to just press the 3 digits for a channel change - I often have to attempt it 4 or 5 times before it gets it right.

I think it's down to the box itself, just not having the processing power to accept all remote control commands. But it doesn't even queue them up, it just ignores them a lot of the time.

I'd love to complain if I knew it wouldn't take up so much time just trying to contact them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If your finances are not that bad do yourself a favour and ring them and get an upgrade to the Virgin 360 Tv box - life is short.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

xabi_a wrote: »
    Does anybody else have the terrible problems I have using the remote control for the Virgin Horizon box? I'm finding it just doesn't accept button presses a lot of the time. It's very frustrating trying to just press the 3 digits for a channel change - I often have to attempt it 4 or 5 times before it gets it right.

I think it's down to the box itself, just not having the processing power to accept all remote control commands. But it doesn't even queue them up, it just ignores them a lot of the time.

I'd love to complain if I knew it wouldn't take up so much time just trying to contact them.

It’s been like this since launch.

New batteries help.

There’s a new box out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

The horizon book is so laggy it's doing my head in. Going to switch back to sky when contract is up. Be loath to pay for an upgrade to 360 when that should be the default box they provide anyway.

As a total aside, I noticed in On Demand, that it has All4. Its looking for a Master pin. Is All4 free or could we be charged for accessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Is the 360 much better? From pictures it looks like the same menus/layout.

seefin wrote: »
    The horizon book is so laggy it's doing my head in. Going to switch back to sky when contract is up. Be loath to pay for an upgrade to 360 when that should be the default box they provide anyway.

As a total aside, I noticed in On Demand, that it has All4. Its looking for a Master pin. Is All4 free or could we be charged for accessing?

Try 0000 or 1234.

• Advertisement

Sappy404 wrote: »

-Don't know what pictures your looking at.

Totally different -much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Sappy404 wrote: »

Infinitely better.

towger wrote: »
    Infinitely better.

How much dp they typically charge for upgrade? Is there extra cost per month- ? Contract is up in a few months , do they do deals like sky does when you threaten to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Delta2113 wrote: »
    -Don't know what pictures your looking at.

Totally different -much better.

Seems like a similar kind of menu to me. Glad to hear otherwise though.

hands-on-with-the-new-virgin-tv-360-package.png

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

xabi_a wrote: »

Not only that, some preset programmes won't record, some miss out on a few minutes when recording (in the middle that is) , old series keep recording, and the broadband is sporadic at times.
    Contacting Virgin Media is a nightmare and the receptionists do not understand the nuances of hiberno english.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

seefin wrote: »

Here's something i discovered by accident the other day , delete everything in your planner :mad: and suddenly the box is back to optimal speed again. It seems like when there are too many items in your planner, it severely slows down the box.

If broadband is sporadic then you have some kind off issue. Virgin broadband is excellent.
    I understand how bad Horizon is. The picture above partly shows how different the 360 box menu's are.

If broadband is sporadic then you have some kind off issue. Virgin broadband is excellent.
    I understand how bad Horizon is. The picture above partly shows how different the 360 box menu's are.

Our estate has a whatsapp for security and occasionally reports Virgin broadband outages.
    The issue you speak of is that Virgin when contacted denied it...

Bodan wrote: »
    Here's something i discovered by accident the other day , delete everything in your planner :mad: and suddenly the box is back to optimal speed again. It seems like when there are too many items in your planner, it severely slows down the box.

You mean your scheduled recordings or actual recordings? I accidentally deleted all our scheduled recordings a while back but can't remember the box being any quicker. Just remember it being a total pain reentering all the series. As an aside, even though have set series link to single channel , it's recording across all channels. Eg have prime time on series record and it records each episode 4 times( rte1+1, and its repeated the next morning also).

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

scheduled recordings (planner). My Box was around 70% full when i deleted all my recordings by accident. Then suddenly the box was behaving like it was new again. Which was a million times better than just a few minutes earlier. To be clear everything in my recordings was fine, just my planner was empty. Im trying to work out the tipping point between the planner and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

Would anyone know why replaying the lunchtime news on RTE1 requires a pin code? It's doing my head in. I went into the pin settings in parental control and disabled for all progs. Can't wait to throw this piece of cr*p in the bin when the time comes.

Think I had similar issue -randomly asks for PIN 0000 or 1234.

Upgrade to 360 box if you can.

Think I had similar issue -randomly asks for PIN 0000 or 1234.

Upgrade to 360 box if you can.

Thanks, I will be as upgrading as soon as my loyalty discount expires!

Col_30 wrote: »
    Thanks, I will be as upgrading as soon as my loyalty discount expires!

Ahem, how does one go about getting this discount?

Ahem, how does one go about getting this discount?

You can negotiate with them when renewing your contract, annually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement