Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler change OFCH. Looking for advice

Options
  • 10-11-2020 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Here is what I have...

1970's 2 storey detached. OFCH. Boiler there since day one it seems. Needs to be changed. No zones set up. One electric shower in main bathroom. Old cylinder. Bath in ensuite.

Had a plumber out to do a power flush as the rads were all cold. That's working great now and he sorted out the pitching as a fix while I decide on next steps.

He recommended replacing cylinder to stainless steel and putting in a bigger one. He found the relevant pipes so said he can install 3 zones. Upstairs, downstairs and water. Put in new boiler (he said the flue was roasting when it's operating so lots of heat loss atm). Thermostats on all the rads. He said this would likely cost 5k all in gross. There would be an Seai grant for heating controls and maybe some money back from Electricity provider.

My q is... Am I missing any better options than those recommended? I'm reading about thermodynamic solar panels which give hot water. Would I be better looking at this as a long term saver for hot water over the oil? There are only two of us in the house for now so we could leave the main bathroom electric but the ensuite could be pump and we could use this.

Is there anyway of getting more zones on an old OFCH system? Or is 3 enough. The house is 163 sq metres and only two of us in it.

Basically I have zero knowledge and am trying to make the right decision before spending a significant sum of money.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Biker1

Your plumber is spot on with what he is proposing and the price is reasonable.
    Don't waste your money on thermodynamic panel system as heating the amount of water required for two people with an oil boiler will be far more cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Agree with Biker1 1000%

Also, because your heating system is not to heat your house per se but to replace the heat lost from your house, perhaps consider having a heat loss survey done to pinpoint the main issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You could add TRVs on some rads. Thus the living area could be a higher temp and other downstairs area pulled back. Same for up stairs.
    You seem to have a good plumber.
    Depends on your finances but a refit including upping insulation same as the advice above. Not up to the grants on this area at this point. I'd be hopeful a deep retrofit grant scheme will come with the Greens in Govn't. Though that might not allow retaining OFCH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

Firstly get BER done.
    As there's only two occupants in the house the cost of heating domestic hot water all year with oil will be minimal. Consider fitting an immersion in new s/s cylinder.
    Forget wasting good money on solar panels etc. instead, as it's a 1970's build, invest your cash in upgrading attic & wall insulation (insulated dry lining ?) consider fitting triple glazed uPVC windows etc. Your BER guy will advice you in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Thanks for all the replies to date. I have a BER from June this year.

The walls have a U-Value of less than or equal to 0.27 which it says are reasonable.

Windows are double glazed but older so have U-Value of less than 4 and greater than 2.7 so could def be improved.

Attic work has been done and is well insulated.

So really it's the new boiler and more control that I would like to upgrade as soon as I can afford it. Install 3 zones. TRV's. Pump shower in the ensuite with a new s/s cylinder to be used as our main shower as opposed to the electric shower.

Also have an open fireplace so a stove is on the list too instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't think I'd bother putting a back boiler on the stove, maybe I'm wrong?

Water John wrote:
    Don't think I'd bother putting a back boiler on the stove, maybe I'm wrong?

Sorry no I just meant putting in a stove in the living room instead of the open fireplace. No back boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Check for gun barrel piping and consider replacing if present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Sorry no I just meant putting in a stove in the living room instead of the open fireplace. No back boiler.

Why not out of interest? Not saying it's wrong by any means, genuinely interested. We're in an almost identical position to above and are getting quotes at the moment. We're considering a boiler stove in the sitting room as we've a fire on there most of the time anyway.

Bawnmore wrote:
    Why not out of interest? Not saying it's wrong by any means, genuinely interested. We're in an almost identical position to above and are getting quotes at the moment. We're considering a boiler stove in the sitting room as we've a fire on there most of the time anyway.

Just never considered it to be honest. Never explored it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just be aware that if you have a boiler and your power goes then you will have no heat in the house at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

You need to see is it worth it with a stove.
    I'm in similar position to OP mid 70's semi looking ot do heating upgrade and am going similar route new boiler and few rad upgrades bit of zoning, no to bothered about 3 zone so long as can do heating and hot water separate, plan putting trvs on all rads and can then go down the smart trv route.

In relation to the stove i plan just putting a insert with no plumbing as I don't think it is worth it. There will be extra expense in the stove itself and the plumbing.
    Then for fuels costs a new oil boiler will be quite efficient and probably cheaper per kwh of heat.
    Have a look at the following link https://www.seai.ie/publications/Domestic-Fuel-Cost-Comparison.pdf
    According to it per kwh of heat you will pay just under 6 cent for oil and aroudn 8-9 cent for wood.
    You would be best to do your own calculations as price of oil goes up and down and price of wood can vary quite a bit also.
    But unless you have a cheap source of wood for the stove I just don't think it is worth the extra expense.

Edit: I forgot to use the Seasonal Efficiency rating so oil will actually come off a bit better even as new oil boiler will be more efficient than a wood burning stove boiler.

Advertisement