Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Offload a car

Options
  • 10-11-2020 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey,

Be really helpful if someone could give me some tips. Ive recently inherited a car and I'm not sure what to do with. Its a Mercedes Benz E270 CDI ,05 registration. Its basically sat up for most the year and its battery is dead and unchargeable and is out of NCT. It was in full working order before the period of inactivity. And since its off and all electronics I cant even check its mileage accurately. I really just want to sell it off as is - ideally someone just picks it up as is and takes it away.

What are my options? Especially at this time with ongoing lockdown etc.

Thanks for any help, I really am clueless with this and dont want to get screwed. What would you do in my situation?

Based in Galway

Thanks for any help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

DaikinTest wrote: »
    Hey,

Be really helpful if someone could give me some tips. Ive recently inherited a car and I'm not sure what to do with. Its a Mercedes Benz E270 CDI ,05 registration. Its basically sat up for most the year and its battery is dead and unchargeable and is out of NCT. It was in full working order before the period of inactivity. And since its off and all electronics I cant even check its mileage accurately. I really just want to sell it off as is - ideally someone just picks it up as is and takes it away.

What are my options? Especially at this time with ongoing lockdown etc.

Thanks for any help, I really am clueless with this and dont want to get screwed. What would you do in my situation?

Based in Galway

Thanks for any help

One or two photos. Describe it like you did here. Into Donedeal with it. Get a few hundred euro

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DaikinTest

Ok, and so I know, were it in good condition what would you think it would be worth? Range like?

If I were to repair it.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kil

As per the post above, describe it honestly with a few pictures of it and ask for €300/400. Don't feel pressurized into giving it away for nothing by some 'in the trade' expert either - it has a value just not more that a few hundred euro.

A decent example probably isn't worth a fortune - check donedeal but I would imagine a 16 year old car with 2.7L tax isn't going to be worth a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Ok, and so I know, were it in good condition what would you think it would be worth? Range like?

If I were to repair it.

Good condition, average mileage and NCT, 1500 euro on an excellent day, 1000-1200 otherwise. Age and tax are killing the value. I have no doubt it could be a nice car tidied up. As it is, its only scrap without battery and NCT cert.
    Basing this off getting 2k for a 06 523i BMW in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If I were to repair it.

Was it kept in a garage or shed?

How many owners?

I'd say get someone you know who is knowledgeable about cars to have a look at it.

It's hard to say on here without seeing it.

• Advertisement

Kept outside a house last 8 months. Physically looks fine. Just bought a replacement battery and will start it tonight. Any tips on starting it?

My plan is to start it and run it in place for 30 minutes. Then move it, assuming no breaks have seized etc. Ya, I get ya on the "ask someone knowledgeable". The guy I do know who'd be best is fairly overloaded at the moment. So replacement battery cost 125 euro. Would I be right in saying consensus is its probably not worth more than 1k and that I should be careful about putting money into it on repairs?

I really just want rid of it now to be honest, even though it is "a fine car", tax and insurance make it uneconomical for me

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Don't see the point in running it for 30 minutes with a new battery, maybe 5 minutes would be beneficial. Ideally you want to move it back and forth a few car lengths if you are unable to drive properly on a public road. The brakes could be seized with pack of use.

Check the oil level before you do anything and also that coolant is at correct level, could have burst over the winter.

Ok thanks, i though running in place might help the engine. Im certainly no expert ... I will drive it around the estate after starting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Kept outside a house last 8 months. Physically looks fine. Just bought a replacement battery and will start it tonight. Any tips on starting it?

My plan is to start it and run it in place for 30 minutes. Then move it, assuming no breaks have seized etc. Ya, I get ya on the "ask someone knowledgeable". The guy I do know who'd be best is fairly overloaded at the moment. So replacement battery cost 125 euro. Would I be right in saying consensus is its probably not worth more than 1k and that I should be careful about putting money into it on repairs?

I really just want rid of it now to be honest, even though it is "a fine car", tax and insurance make it uneconomical for me

Atlantic Dawn has covered starting it.

Definitely get a second opinion before advertising. Your overloaded guy might even know someone interested.

I wouldn't be inclined to spend money on it.

You'll be selling it as a runner with no NCT. If you have the old NCT's available a buyer might be interested in them.

Good luck with the sale. You can post it here for free -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058076324&page=13

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Would I be right in saying consensus is its probably not worth more than 1k and that I should be careful about putting money into it on repairs?

No. Its worth 1 or 2 hundred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭enricoh

Could you not jump start it? You now need e125 more for the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

yeah I was going to say, why get new battery? old one just likely flat as fcuk! I would put it through nct if you can, even if it fails, people know what it has failed on, if you dont want to do the work... assuming you can do it quickly and get an nct cancellation or appointment within next week or two.. better off selling it asap!

2.7 without nct, you will be near giving it away...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah I was going to say, why get new battery? old one just likely flat as fcuk! I would put it through nct if you can, even if it fails, people know what it has failed on, if you dont want to do the work... assuming you can do it quickly and get an nct cancellation or appointment within next week or two.. better off selling it asap!

2.7 without nct, you will be near giving it away...

This is my approach now. And ya, I agree re battery however I brought the existing battery to a garage mate to get it charged up, its fully dead. Something to do with crystals that form within the fluid I think, cant be recharged. Thats combination of his info and the internet

FYI, I've now run it in place and drove it around a little. Breaks seemingly not seized. Im actually amazed, its a great car if I wanted it and wanted to pay the tax. Booking NCT now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

FYI, I've now run it in place and drove it around a little. Breaks seemingly not seized. Im actually amazed, its a great car if I wanted it and wanted to pay the tax. Booking NCT now

From nct website -

Cars that have been off the road or have not been taxed for over 3 months it will be necessary for the owner of the vehicle to contact NCTS directly themselves.

Does that apply here?

Advertisement