Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower/Wet room

Options
  • 10-11-2020 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    We're looking to remodel our ensuite, and swap the door and shower around so we can change the master bedroom to another room. New shower, sink toilet, radiator, tiles,

I was thinking of getting a low profile tray 1400x800 which would be the width of the bathroom. I want full width because the house is a dormer and the rest of the space would be dead space.

First question is, how much of a screen would be suitable for a shower? I see some fixed wet room panels are 600, is that enough? If I went 700 I'd be ducking a little bit to get in since im 6ft. but that wouldn't bother me.
    Pic attached to show the space.

532419.PNG

Option 2 would be a door 700/800 wide, almost like a shower door that sits on top of a bath.. but struggling find a door online thats only mounted on 1 side.

What would people think the best option is?

this room is 3.2m squared, has anyone done similar recently and know a rough cost? wont be tackling it myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If the room is 3.2 squared, how come 1400 is the max width

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

If the room is 3.2 squared, how come 1400 is the max width

3.2m2

1 length is 1.4m and the other is 2.3m

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What about a conventional corner shower in the left corner. And storage to the right under the angled roof area.

Other option is to get toughened glass cut at angle and glass the whole thing and put there at 700 where you have it.

Haven't ruled it out yet, somewhere else for herself to fill with stuff :pac:

Fairly crude drawing of what I was imagining.

532464.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Wet room the whole floor will be treated and not a lover in tray in shower as it makes me giddy when it moves,dont they have extra grip tiles for showers and then your glass does not have to be of a set size so your not restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I thought the whole point of wet rooms was there is no shower tray? So your glass could then be whatever size you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

How about building a tiled partition on the sloped section with a bench inside for sitting on (not enough head height for standing but plenty for sitting). Depending on the slope of your ceiling you'll get at least a 700mm opening and I'm presuming 800mm which a bi-fold glass door would be ideal for access.
    With a bench a shower tray wouldn't work so would have to go the wetroom route and form your own shower pan, tank and tile over.

Could access the space under the bench via a door from the outside to store products such as bleach, cleaners and bog roll so that doesn't go to waster either and de-clutters an otherwise small space.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

garv123 wrote: »

532464.JPG

Is that toilet going to be usable? Looks like you will be cracking your head everytime you get up/down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

532464.JPG

What are you using to do these mockups, they look great.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is that toilet going to be usable? Looks like you will be cracking your head everytime you get up/down.

The toilet is actually in a dormer window so plenty space, have that bit turned off to look in from outside. The toilet is already there, so just upgrading that to a new toilet and not moving it.
    532525.JPG

• Advertisement

What are you using to do these mockups, they look great.

We use it at work, its called Space Claim. Much easier and simpler than Solid Works once you get used to it.

I'm liking Peoples suggestions so far. No final decisions made yet.
    Does a wet room make things much more expensive? I went for the tray option because they aren't that expensive and we don't have a big budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have a look at the flair Oro range of shower doors. Lots of options and frameless too. We have a bifold Oro door fitted in a recess and it's great, very clean looking.

If you're torn between a wet room look and a traditional shower tray, look at the acrylic stone look flat trays. Flair do them, but we got one from Sonos bathrooms. Only about 10mm thick, so nothing to step over. Available in different colours. By the way, they're not completely flat, there's a very slight fall towards the outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Merlyn shower doors are good too. They'll even do custom designs to fit non standard spaces, at a price obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wet rooms add expense and to be frank suck.

You don't want water all over the floor because you'll have to be drying it up . It's Ireland not Spain. So unless your house has the heating of a gym then water will lie on the floor for ages. Standing in shower water having a pee.

Stick with the tray it keeps the water where you want it and directs it where it needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The toilet is actually in a dormer window so plenty space, have that bit turned off to look in from outside. The toilet is already there, so just upgrading that to a new toilet and not moving it.
    532525.JPG

Would you get the shower into the dormer or would it extend beyond the door?

Failing that, I'd wet room the whole place and make it an "open plan" wet area.

Advertisement