Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

LG TV tuning help

  • 10-11-2020 8:16am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 11


    Hi all. Just moved into a new house recently and there's a satellite dish installed. When trying to use my LG TV to tune in the free to air satellite channels, I'm asked in the settings what type of satellite I have. Without knowing that, it doesn't seem to want to tune anything in. Is there any way of knowing?

    Or do I need some sort of receiver box? Thanks!


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Triboro


    Tuned in my new LG tv at the weekend,after screwing on the cable from sat dish the astra 28 option came up on sreen so I selected that and it tuned in the usual ITV’s,BBC’s etc.
    Made up my own favourites list from that but I still have to figure out how to recall that list as there is no fav button on remote!


  • Registered Users Posts: 73,345 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm


    Set the tv country to uk, then it should try and tune in freesat which has a much better EPG than the standard LG one.


  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭decor58


    TealPanda wrote: »
    Hi all. Just moved into a new house recently and there's a satellite dish installed. When trying to use my LG TV to tune in the free to air satellite channels, I'm asked in the settings what type of satellite I have. Without knowing that, it doesn't seem to want to tune anything in. Is there any way of knowing?

    Or do I need some sort of receiver box? Thanks!
    Hi, go for 28.2 East, it will get you the UK free to air channels. Some LG tv's have freesat which puts the channels in order and gives you a 7day epg, other that that you will have to renumber /order them yourself.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11 TealPanda


    Thanks all for the help. Unfortunately didn't find any channels though. Might be an issue with the dish, know very little about these things.


  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭decor58


    TealPanda wrote: »
    Thanks all for the help. Unfortunately didn't find any channels though. Might be an issue with the dish, know very little about these things.

    If you could borrow a receiver that you know is tuned in it might give you an indication if your dish is set up right. Check your connections, there are videos on YouTube, the alignment of the dish is tight but check your neighbours, is your dish pointing in the same direction, the dish may be aligned to a continental satellite.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Widescreen


    You will get the option to put in a UK postal code as well, i did one from the Granada region. Then all the channels come up in order and will be updated automatically going forward. If you're having an issue you will probably find something on youtube to show you,


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭swoofer


    say model of tv and may be easier to help!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭gussieg


    ive a 43 uk6300plb, was getting all the foreign channels and apparently on astra 28.2 , but not a whiff of uk channels. so i changed location to uk, now ive lost signal altogether. it was quite interesting watchng the us election results from all over though.
    i was thinking maybe i donrt have enough signal quality on the first few transponders, showing at most 64 -66, could that be the problem?
    could also be i need a bigger dish. thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow


    gussieg wrote: »
    ive a 43 uk6300plb, was getting all the foreign channels and apparently on astra 28.2 , but not a whiff of uk channels. so i changed location to uk, now ive lost signal altogether. it was quite interesting watchng the us election results from all over though.
    i was thinking maybe i donrt have enough signal quality on the first few transponders, showing at most 64 -66, could that be the problem?
    could also be i need a bigger dish. thanks

    If you were getting foreign channels and no UK ones chances are the dish is pointing at the wrong satellite


  • Registered Users Posts: 11 TealPanda


    decor58 wrote: »
    If you could borrow a receiver that you know is tuned in it might give you an indication if your dish is set up right. Check your connections, there are videos on YouTube, the alignment of the dish is tight but check your neighbours, is your dish pointing in the same direction, the dish may be aligned to a continental satellite.

    Thanks for this. Had a look and seems the dish is pointing the same way as the neighbours. TV shows 0% signal though.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭The Cush


    TealPanda wrote: »
    Had a look and seems the dish is pointing the same way as the neighbours. TV shows 0% signal though.

    A slight misalignment of a satellite dish, which may not be visually obvious, due to wind/loose clamp for example, can lose the signal.

    Also the LNB on the end of the dish arm can fail. Faulty cable, bad or corroded connections can also be an issue depending on how long the installation has been there.

    If you can't check these yourself it might best to get a local dish installer to have a look.


  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt


    If the previous occupiers had SkyQ, you might need a old style LNB.

    What satellite did you think you were receiving I totally?


Advertisement