Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change router have Eir FTTH

Options
  • 09-11-2020 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I am looking to change the default EIR fibre router. I was looking at the ASUS RT-AC88U/RT-AC86U or TP-Link Archer AX6000. I know they are slightly overkill but need better coverage in average size dormer plus we have two gamers in the house so need low latency / ping.

So I am wondering can I just swap out the current router or do I need anything else apart from the usual like passwords etc.. Will these routers even work? I have two white boxes on the wall one is the fibre connected to second box with lan.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

just need to be able to set vlan 10 on the wan is all thats needed

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rob1air

Hi Shane,

Thank you for the info guess I just need to find out if those routers I mentioned can be set to vlan10 thanks for your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TP's router OS has support so that should work. I've a feeling Ive seen it suggested the ASUS can too.

Yep, looking at posts regarding Merlin (open source firmware) they suggest the Asus has the feature also. The main unit that trips people up is Google Wifi, most SOHO cable routers do support WAN VLANs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

ED E wrote: »
    . The main unit that trips people up is Google Wifi, most SOHO cable routers do support WAN VLANs.
    Amazon Eero doesn’t support PPPoE or VLAN too,
    Google WiFi not bad though, as you could have managed Ethernet switch with VLAN tagging between ONT and the router.
    ps. Netgear OS does support VLAN 10 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I have the Asus 86 router with the VM hub in modem mode, it's brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I have the Asus 86 router with the VM hub in modem mode, it's brilliant.

Not really related to what we're talking about.

ED E wrote: »
    Not really related to what we're talking about.

I was just letting the op know I'm very happy with the 86. It will do vlan tagging on the wan port but others had told him that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rob1air

Update,

So I got my new router Asus RT Ax86U and wow only been going for a day but what a difference. Took a while to set up mainly my fault as I put in the wrong settings. Quick check online and got the right settings and so far so good. Thanks for the help and advice.

rob1air wrote: »
    Update,

So I got my new router Asus RT Ax86U and wow only been going for a day but what a difference. Took a while to set up mainly my fault as I put in the wrong settings. Quick check online and got the right settings and so far so good. Thanks for the help and advice.

Fantastic router. I ran into problems transferring files to the storage attached to the router after updating to the latest firmware, I just reflashed it to the previous firmware and normal service was resumed.

Advertisement