Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wood stain on stairs

Options
  • 09-11-2020 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I've spent the last few days stripping layers of paint off my pine staircase bannisters and newel posts(x5). I have everything completely sanded down and it's now ready for wood staining.

After the amount of time I've spent doing all the preparation work, I'm now slightly nervous about staining pine. I'm tempted to just put a clear varnish on it and leave it.

I've bought Ronseal quick drying woodstain(deep mahogany) and Ronseal utlra tough satincoat clear varnish for the finish.

Youtube videos all from America mention using a wood conditioner before staining. I've checked woodies for this product and it doesn't seem to be stocked for some reason.

Is wood conditioner called something else in Ireland/UK? Any tips for staining pine?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've not experimented with it myself, but apparently sanding sealer can be used to prep for a more consistent stain.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Lumen wrote: »
    I've not experimented with it myself, but apparently sanding sealer can be used to prep for a more consistent stain.

Thanks Lumen, I'm going to check if woodies has this sanding sealer.

Advertisement