Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pump and (unrelated) shower question

Options
  • 09-11-2020 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have 2 queries, most grateful for any comments anyone has.

House is not particularly well built, lots of noise transfer between floors and between neighbours for that matter. So issue here is really likely to be structural in terms of shoddy construction..... That said, got the high pressure pump put in about a year ago. Grundfos I think, and sitting on a little mat /box style yoke which looks purpose built for reducing sound transmission... Anyway, when pump is on you can hear it throughout the entire house, its very bad in areas of the house above the pump, so bad you would need to step out of the room if on a phone call etc. Are there any options here? It's in a small "hot press" style room, moving the pump out of the house is not likely to be an option? That would require chasing floors etc to run pipes, and run pipes from new pump location to boiler etc?

Is there any sound deadening I can do? I understand its not good to build a box around the pump as it needs oxygen? Can I do anything in terms of some internal sound deadening to that small room??

Second question isn't really related, water temp throughout the house is great, but en suite shower not as hot as elsewhere... Its a simple enough mixer type unit, would there be a thermostat in that unit and would I possibly be able to adjust it to allow the water increase in temperature?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is there any sound deadening I can do? I understand its not good to build a box around the pump as it needs oxygen? Can I do anything in terms of some internal sound deadening to that small room??

I've no suggestions about reducing the noise but just to say that some pumps make more noise than others. The cheaper the pump the louder they tend to be.
    Second question isn't really related, water temp throughout the house is great, but en suite shower not as hot as elsewhere... Its a simple enough mixer type unit, would there be a thermostat in that unit and would I possibly be able to adjust it to allow the water increase in temperature?

The filter on the hot may be clogged. The thermostatic cartridge might need replacing. Most showers have a way to set the maximum temperature to avoid scalding. This might be set too low on your shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thanks. Issue with pump is twofold, first is the noise and it may indeed be a cheap pump but was assured at the time by the builder that it was in fact a decent one, I can obviously investigate that. Second issue is more of a vibration /rattling noise through the house, so it's not even the pump noise itself in certain parts of the house, but rather an intense vibration /rattling sound in the walls etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ebayissues

Is it possible to have a shower with inbuilt pump?

The prev housse I lived in had a pump behind the wall or something in the wall. it defo wasn't a pump as plumber said it would be breaking the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks. Issue with pump is twofold, first is the noise and it may indeed be a cheap pump but was assured at the time by the builder that it was in fact a decent one, I can obviously investigate that. Second issue is more of a vibration /rattling noise through the house, so it's not even the pump noise itself in certain parts of the house, but rather an intense vibration /rattling sound in the walls etc....

Any pictures of the pump install itself.

Even expensive pumps poorly installed can cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ebayissues wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a shower with inbuilt pump?

The prev housse I lived in had a pump behind the wall or something in the wall. it defo wasn't a pump as plumber said it would be breaking the regulations.

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26 bubbagumss

you probably have aur in system and need expansion tank put in
    you could also put in a different pump that's silent

listermint wrote: »
    Any pictures of the pump install itself.

Even expensive pumps poorly installed can cause problems.

Trying to attach one now

I haven't done pumps in years so maybe I'm wrong but that looks very dated to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Flexible hoses would help i'd imagine.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I haven't done pumps in years so maybe I'm wrong but that looks very dated to me.

I wouldn't have a clue myself, the pump itself looks dated? The pump and new water tank, rads and boiler etc were changed but pipework left in situ.

• Advertisement

wiz569 wrote: »
    Flexible hoses would help i'd imagine.

Thanks. Could you explain please? The vibration noise throughout the house could be partly to do with the pipes? And the flexible hoses would alleviate?

Any comments on the pump itself or the way it's sitting on that pad? Any obvious improvements that could be made? Not looking to spend money, but if that is an obviously bad pump or somewhere else significant noise reduction could be achieved I would

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

You won't get much quieter than them. They are good to be fair.

A flex in and out might help. Bar that nothing

The pad it's sitting on is designed to reduce the noise. Costs around 25 euros as far as I remember.

With the pump attached directly to copper pipes some of the vibration will transfer to the pipes themselves. Pump flexis between the pump and copper pipe will act as a shock absorber. They should reduce vibration in the pipes and in turn reduce the noise to some degrees

Thanks.

Is feeling that noise is via the pipes and this causes the issue yeah?

Eg my initial view was to try undertake some kind of soundproofing work on the (small "hot press" style) room where the pump is, but even if this were possible, it would just reduce the pump noise, but main issue re vibration could be the pipes....

Thanks again

Edit, obviously I'll do the flexi hoses job and then reassess before anything else considered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Thanks. Could you explain please? The vibration noise throughout the house could be partly to do with the pipes? And the flexible hoses would alleviate?

Any comments on the pump itself or the way it's sitting on that pad? Any obvious improvements that could be made? Not looking to spend money, but if that is an obviously bad pump or somewhere else significant noise reduction could be achieved I would

If you connect flexi between supply and pump and pump and outlet then that should reduce vibrations, as for the pump itself I have no experience with them sorry m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Apologises for jumping in but I have the same problem only my pump has gotten much noisier of late, it's in the hot press upstairs. Would moving it up to the Attic and wrapping insulation of some sort around it cure the problem?

Advertisement