Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a large hole smaller

Options
  • 09-11-2020 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure I got laughed out of the plumbing forum for asking a daft question so I'm honestly not trolling, just incredibly stupid. I drilled out a 90mm hole in a nice desk I had built into the office thinking I'd get a gromet. Turns out nice gromets only really go to 80mm and also a 100mm one would be to large for the piece of glass I have for the desk top.

Is there anyway of lining the hole? I've found a 90mm one which should cover up my mistake - just - but the internal diameter is 80mm.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Pretty sure I got laughed out of the plumbing forum for asking a daft question so I'm honestly not trolling, just incredibly stupid. I drilled out a 90mm hole in a nice desk I had built into the office thinking I'd get a gromet. Turns out nice gromets only really go to 80mm and also a 100mm one would be to large for the piece of glass I have for the desk top.

Is there anyway of lining the hole? I've found a 90mm one which should cover up my mistake - just - but the internal diameter is 80mm.

Have you looked on Amazon or similar sites?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mprofi-Computer-Metal-Grommet-Table/dp/B01KGK2HJU

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You could probably get a bush to fit, but really could you not just get a new grommet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Finding it very difficult to find a nice grommet big enough.

aido79 wrote: »

That's 80mm internal sadly.

Only thing I can think of.
    Get a hole saw, cut out a piece to fit the current hole in the top from another piece of wood, and make a hole in that with the required size and secure to the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Stick a piece of wood underneath the desk.

Sit a wireless charger into the hole. It will fill the depth and charge your phone.

Drill a new proper hole the other side for your cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

how neat and tidy is the hole. could you run a rebate router cutter around it and get matching piece of timber and cut it to fit the rebate leaving a cut out for the wires.
    done right with a contrasting or matching timber and it will look great

how neat and tidy is the hole. could you run a rebate router cutter around it and get matching piece of timber and cut it to fit the rebate leaving a cut out for the wires.
    done right with a contrasting or matching timber and it will look great

Not great but if I'm understanding you, I create a lip with one of cutters and put a bit of new wood in? Sound like an excellent solution thank you!

Advertisement