Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk and cereal tokens

Options
  • 08-11-2020 11:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

I love my porridge and have been collecting the flahavan's porridge tokens because one day I might cash them in.

But do they ever put tokens on the milk cartons anymore? You used to be able to collect tokens and send them off for items. I remember seeing a TV in their booklet.

Does any other product have tokens to collect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I remember the mother getting me to count the initial milk tokens cut from the carton, and then the milk caps, and sending me into the place in Limerick city to "cash" them in for something. Place is well gone now. Used to be Dawn Dairies that did it around here I believe. Haven't seen them in years tbh. Didn't know the porridge crowd did them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I love my porridge and have been collecting the flahavan's porridge tokens because one day I might cash them in.

But do they ever put tokens on the milk cartons anymore? You used to be able to collect tokens and send them off for items. I remember seeing a TV in their booklet.

Does any other product have tokens to collect?

Whereabouts are these tokens OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Weetabix always used to have an collection for tokens to get books like atlases and mini encyclopedias. The excitment of waiting for the post for it to come lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Do people still do that? years ago use to send off and get tea towels and towels with the tokens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

gozunda wrote: »
    Whereabouts are these tokens OP?

On the back of flahavan's porridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

On the back of flahavan's porridge.

Do you get much bang for your token?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Do you get much bang for your token?

https://www.flahavans.ie/happenings/gift-scheme/

I want the reusable mug and the beanie hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

mariaalice wrote: »

They seem to have a strange system. One item is 90 tokens or 18 tokens plus €4, but another is 75 tokens or 18 tokens plus $4.

If you're adding the cash, both things are the same but if you're just using tokens, one is 15 more than the other. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

They seem to have a strange system. One item is 90 tokens or 18 tokens plus €4, but another is 75 tokens or 18 tokens plus $4.

If you're adding the cash, both things are the same but if you're just using tokens, one is 15 more than the other. :confused:

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Also, not really filled with enthusiasm for the items. Is that it? No nice bowl to serve your porridge in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Are all mugs not reusable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's one heap of porridge to eat before you can get a cheap, unexciting gift.
    Odd that the tokens aren't on all Flahavans products.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Weetabix always used to have an collection for tokens to get books like atlases and mini encyclopedias. The excitment of waiting for the post for it to come lol!

I remember that well, the cover probably wouldn't fare too well in this day and age :D

81mJFaWMPRL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,664 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is a sub forum on Bargain Alerts. But I think these things are rare now, everything online, just as loyalty cards replaced Green Shield Stamps.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=346

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Do people still do that? years ago use to send off and get tea towels and towels with the tokens.

Ah bring back the days of Kellogs putting some plastic toy in the box or some or collecting so many tokens to send away the Snap, crackle and pop clock. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They're like the oat version of BitCoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Floppybits wrote: »
    Ah bring back the days of Kellogs putting some plastic toy in the box

Can't have that as today's stupid kids would eat the toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Anyone remember "Treasure Trail" tokens that you got with chewing gum back in the 50's and 60's.

https://www.adverts.ie/memorabilia/treasure-trail-wax-gum-wrapper-meerut-street-scene/14164418

http://wrappers.ru/?act=coll&acm=coll&id=2343

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Can't have that as today's stupid kids would eat the toy.

I read somewhere this is illegal in the US, and for the same reason, so are Kinder Eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I read somewhere this is illegal in the US, and for the same reason, so are Kinder Eggs.

Wow, that's actually true!
    The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act prohibits confectionery products which contain a “non-nutritive object”, unless the non-nutritive object has functional value. Essentially, the Act bans "the sale of any candy that has embedded in it a toy or trinket".

[...]

Kinder Surprise eggs are legal in Canada and Mexico, but are illegal to import into the US. In January 2011, the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) threatened a Manitoba resident with a 300 Canadian dollar fine for carrying one egg across the US border into Minnesota.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder_Surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maxol used do Tiger tokens back in the 1980s and 1990s. You got a token for every £10 of fuel you bought and they had an Argos style catalog of gifts. I remember as a child getting a Casio digital watch with a calculator on it (they were a thing back then) through this promotion. I think it was about 50 tokens which was £500 in fuel, the watch was worth about £20 on the high street:

SDBC611-02_grande.jpg?v=1543270237

• Advertisement
Advertisement