Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This drill good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8260385/Trail/searchtext%3ECORDLESS+DRILL.htm

Would this be ok for occsional DIY like hanging pictures in both plasterboardand masonry. Is 10 mm into masonry the norm?

10mm into masonry would be around the norm for this sort of drill, but I'd be more concerned with the 1.5ah battery, couldn't see it lasting very long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

FixitFelix wrote: »
    10mm into masonry would be around the norm for this sort of drill, but I'd be more concerned with the 1.5ah battery, couldn't see it lasting very long
    i wondered about the battery. Is this considered a driver as well? 10mm into masonry ok for pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

i wondered about the battery. Is this considered a driver as well? 10mm into masonry ok for pictures?

6mm would be the biggest you’d need for pictures. Thats for red rawl plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

Have this drill and it's fine for hanging pictures and general around the house stuff. Battery lasts a decent amount of time too. I'm very happy with it but have a corded drill for heavier work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have it. Woodies were selling it for 45 during the summer.

Perfect for light work. Haven’t tried concrete. Good for metal and wood. All depends on the right drill bit.

I’d never drill into plasterboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s alright but only for occasional use, I actually used one a few weeks ago because I didn’t have my own with me and it was tough going trying to do masonary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Have one at home. Great for everything except for drilling into solid concrete

Lidl doing a corded hammer drill for €22 at the moment.
    Bought one last year just to have and it drilled half inch holes in box section no bother. A great thing to have if you’re doing occasional masonary and don’t want to spend much. Ideal to have alongside a cordless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd go for the aldi/lidl drill.

It's a one battery fits all so might come in handy if you ever need to add to your power tool collection.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd go for the aldi/lidl drill.

It's a one battery fits all so might come in handy if you ever need to add to your power tool collection.

The €60 Lidl cordless hammer drill is much better than the B&D but they rarely have them, they usually have the non hammer one only.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The €60 Lidl cordless hammer drill is much better than the B&D but they rarely have them, they usually have the non hammer one only.

I was thinking of the aldi one, it costs just under €35. I've no experience with the brand myself but I'm sure it be grand for what the OP needs.

Just to add that the brand is Ferrex and battery fits, impact driver, circular saw, angle grinder, sander and a selection of garden tools including lawn mower.

Does it come with the battery for that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I was thinking of the aldi one, it costs just under €35. I've no experience with the brand myself but I'm sure it be grand for what the OP needs.

Just to add that the brand is Ferrex and battery fits, impact driver, circular saw, angle grinder, sander and a selection of garden tools including lawn mower.

35 but I believe it’s an extra 25 for the battery

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Does it come with the battery for that price?

Apologies, charger and batteries are not included.

€34.43 for a 5.0AH battery.
    €19.67 for charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't know about aldi but the lidl stuff is good. I have a B&D corded and while it does the job - I was drilling concrete blocks with it recently - the chuck has a bit of a shake on it, not much use for very small bit holes in plaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

OP, if you only want it for occasional use a Corded Drill would be a far better option.
    A lot more power for the same money.
    Also the Battery in a cordless drill would prefer not be left neglected for ages.....especially at your price point.

Advertisement