Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charolais sale

Options
  • 07-11-2020 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Some prices for Charolais bulls in tullamore today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Saw a lovely bull from Ryan's make 4100.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

cacs wrote: »
    Some prices for Charolais bulls in tullamore today
    Wonder are many gone to the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Gudstock

Big prices, 6 - 7.5k!! Are these bulls going for pedigree herds?
    Hard to fathom the big prices with the current beef prices, outlook, brexit etc?!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

How does it compare with other years? Looking at that report, there seems to be a lot of bulls sold for small money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

How does it compare with other years? Looking at that report, there seems to be a lot of bulls sold for small money
    I don’t know what to make of us farmers. I 100% agree big prices without an economic return is crazy. Someone paid 9000 for an incalf Commerical heifer in elphin this week. Let’s all be honest this will never clean its faces not unless you may go down embryo route even then I don’t know. You see prices like this and then I hear people give out there is no money farming we need more grants. When all the money is made inside our own gates and in some cases it’s down to our own management of that money. That’s enough of a rant from me.
    All that been equal a good lucky bull is always good investment if you have the number of cows to yield the return

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

cacs wrote: »
    I don’t know what to make of us farmers. I 100% agree big prices without an economic return is crazy. Someone paid 9000 for an incalf Commerical heifer in elphin this week. Let’s all be honest this will never clean its faces not unless you may go down embryo route even then I don’t know. You see prices like this and then I hear people give out there is no money farming we need more grants. When all the money is made inside our own gates and in some cases it’s down to our own management of that money. That’s enough of a rant from me.
    All that been equal a good lucky bull is always good investment if you have the number of cows to yield the return

I agree with you on those fancy in calf heifirs. But there were a lot of bulls sold for between 2000 and 2500 in the ch sale. Those bulls would do fine for the typical suckler farmer. Imo they're not dear if they go right. Cull valve would be close to 2000 when the time comes. The 7000 euro bulls could be going to ai or pedigree herds, which is a different kettle of fish.

I though the ch sale looked better value than a lot of what I have seen recently. Your saying 6k and 7k is dear, what about the sí bull making 52k???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Don't forget the 'I buy your bull, you buy my bull' brigade. On .... and the underbidder 'little Brown envelope'.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Wouldnt have thought those prices that high. Alot towards the end of the sale sold for 2k mark. Majority below 3.5k. If you consider the bull is 50% of your entire herd possibly it makes more sense paying decent money for a bull than lads paying big money for springers. Any decent springer is going near 2k by the looks of it. It surely makes more sense paying 3-4k for a nice bull. Whether either makes sense is another question.

Advertisement