Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathroom and sub-letters

Options
  • 07-11-2020 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

My tenant has been in my apt for several years he was sharing with his boyfriend. Circumstantial evidence ie they were sharing a double bed and several bottles of perfume and a surname. Then about 3 years ago a wife appeared from nowhere but different surname no ring no marriage certificate. Then my tenant seem to come into money divorced his wife of 6 months and went by himself on a 6 month holiday to pakistan. When he went on holiday without permission he sublet my apt to his boyfriend who had also gained a wife from nowhere again different surname and no ring or marriage certificate. Then six months later the first tenant came back from pakistan and asked if his boyfriend could move back in. I asked about the boyfriends wife and it seems they got diviorced. I refused to give permission for the boyfriend to move back into my apt, and I let it be known that I suspected their short term marriages were not genuine. I suspect not long after i refused permission for the boyfriend to move back in he rejected my orders and did move in. Of course the RTB rules on me visiting my apt prevent me from catching the subletter ie I have to give 48 hours notice so he just vacates when I am schduled to arrive. This system has now failed because my tenant or his sub letter broke my bath, and the repair men confirmed a man of the same description as the suspected sub-letter was in the apt. The RTB will not accept said witness statements as evidence that there are sub-letters in my apt, nor will release records on the sub-letter which would prove he is not registered at another address so he must be at my address. Now we finally come to the question which runs as follows I am not allowed to inspect my apt without giving 48 hours notice. However, am I allowed to inspect the work done on my bathroom without giving said notice. My intention is to arrive with my plumbers and if the illegal sub-letter is there take a dated picture will this idea break the rules??? I suspect rules will be broken
    It has taken me one week to arrange a new bath to be fitted, and said bath will take another week. My tenant has accused me of being slow and threatened to continue using the broken bath with knowledge that the water will damage my flooring and sink down to the ceilings of the apts on the floor below. He seems to think that he can blame his premeditated damage on my slowness to replace my bath, and he feels that the RTB will support his criminal actions...to be honest he has good reason to expect help from the RTB . I suspect the RTB will not mind (or even support) damage being done to my flooring, but will draw the line at wanted damage to other peoples property. Anyway does premeditated damage to other people's property count as anti socia behaviour ???

Comments

Is your rent paid in time & in full?

Not sure why it matters whether these men are married to women or not. Or if they are together themselves or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,164 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It’s hard to understand, what is your objection? Is the original tenant still there?

• Site Banned Posts: 31 Yikesoc

beaufoy wrote: »
    I let it be known that I suspected their short term marriages were not genuine.

That's none of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

bubblypop wrote: »

Not sure why it matters whether these men are married to women or not. Or if they are together themselves or not.

use your imagination to think of motive for women appearing

I can think of 100's of legitimate reasons, so I don't see what the problem is or why it is any of your concern.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    It’s hard to understand, what is your objection? Is the original tenant still there?
    Well he stole money from me threatened me verbally when i made him pay said money back and followed me to the door on said visit and it was not to say goodbye.
    I used the above history to insist on no more boyfriends or imaginary wives. The tenant agreed the apt would be restricted top one [person except on sight of a marriage certificate

Yikesoc wrote: »
    I can think of 100's of legitimate reasons, so I don't see what the problem is or why it is any of your concern.
    If tenants get involved in criminal activities and the LL does nothing then the LL could go to prison...does that makeit my concern???

That's none of your business.
    I am sorry but you are wrong

bubblypop wrote: »

One person tenancy agreement the second person is trespassing on complex and in my apt

Do you have some reason to suspect that there is something illegal going in on your apartment?

• Advertisement

Imagination is not evidence.

If tenants get involved in criminal activities and the LL does nothing then the LL could go to prison...does that makeit my concern???

If you have evidence of criminal activity, wild speculation aside, then you should report it to the Gardai.

If you have evidence of criminal activity, wild speculation aside, then you should report it to the Gardai.

It has been reported to the garda. I let it be known to them that I did not expect a lot of action and my main reason for reporting the suspected crimes was to ensure I would not be prosecuted for not reporting suspected crimes. As I explained to the Garda all I had was good circumstantial evidence and they agreed but you do not think I have any evidence

...circumstantial evidence ... but you do not think I have any evidence

You don't mate, all you have is speculation and circumstantial evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,164 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It has been reported to the garda. I let it be known to them that I did not expect a lot of action and my main reason for reporting the suspected crimes was to ensure I would not be prosecuted for not reporting suspected crimes. As I explained to the Garda all I had was good circumstantial evidence and they agreed but you do not think I have any evidence

I’m not sure that you could be prosecuted for not reporting a crime.

Also, I’m not sure that you can dictate that a tenant can only share with a legal spouse. Beaufoy, I think you are going to have to tread carefully, from what you posted, it looks like the tenant may have a case against you with both the RTB as a tenant and the WRC due to discrimination if you evict. If the tenant has been there for years and pays rent on time, he has a right to peaceful enjoyment of the property.

Focus only on the terms of the tenancy agreement, consider the tenants rights, forget that it is two men in a relationship and leave fake marriage issue to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Dav010 wrote: »
    I’m not sure that you could be prosecuted for not reporting a crime.

Also, I’m not sure that you can dictate that a tenant can only share with a legal spouse. Beaufoy, I think you are going to have to tread carefully, from what you posted, it looks like the tenant may have a case against you with both the RTB as a tenant and the WRC due to discrimination if you evict. If the tenant has been there for years and pays rent on time, he has a right to peaceful enjoyment of the property.

Focus only on the terms of the tenancy agreement, consider the tenants rights, forget that it is two me in a relationship and leave fake marriage issue to the Gardai.

Personally, quite apart from the sharing issue (which I think the op should not worry about as long as rent is paid and property maintained) I would report suspicions to Gardai. If op suspects a crime of any kind has been committed then it should be investigated. If you suspected drug dealing, prostitution, or any other crime, you would report it. International criminal gangs are involved in these "businesses", along with illegal immigration and fake marriages

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you have suspicions about immigration fraud, you direct these to the Gardaí and INIS, not a forum. I really can't understand anything else from that part of your posts. Discussion is to stop on that topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭KaneToad

There have been numerous cases of sham marriages between Pakistani males and Eastern European females.

E.g.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/manhunt-underway-for-suspect-in-15m-sham-marriage-racket-35475740.html

It is a crime. If it were me, I'd report it. Let the system deal with it.

You don't mate, all you have is speculation and circumstantial evidence.
    I am sure there are knowledgeable people on this site who can be of use to people asking questions ...but you are not one of them. In effect you are telling LLs who might be reading to ignore evidence of crimes being committed as long as said suspected criminals pay the rent. Reading of your advice could result in people going to prison because they thought, by reading your answers 'it is a good idea to turn a blind eye"
    Please explain in similar circumstances what you consider would be good circumstantial evidence?

I am sure there are knowledgeable people on this site who can be of use to people asking questions ...but you are not one of them. In effect you are telling LLs who might be reading to ignore evidence of crimes being committed as long as said suspected criminals pay the rent. Reading of your advice could result in people going to prison because they thought, by reading your answers 'it is a good idea to turn a blind eye"

What evidence?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As said, just drop the immigration stuff now. Final warning.

i was going to get involved but I can see the OP will just shout everyone down and has already made his mind up.

nonsense

KaneToad wrote: »
    There have been numerous cases of sham marriages between Pakistani males and Eastern European females.

E.g.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/manhunt-underway-for-suspect-in-15m-sham-marriage-racket-35475740.html

It is a crime. If it were me, I'd report it. Let the system deal with it.

At last an intelligent answer to the background info but you failed to answer the questions
    If tenants deliberately uses a leaking tub in order to damage an apt and other apts below my apt would it be anti social behaviour
    If i went to my apt with my workers would I be breaking RTB rules

nonsense

Sorry you are wrong a landlord in bitterne southampton rented a flat. Said tenant used flat for a party where drugs were used. By the time the crime was discovered the drug dealer had been gone for some time, but the LL went to prison. The police could not prove he knew about the drugs and turned a blind eye, but the LL could not prove he did not know about the drugs so he went to prison on circumstantial evidence

Closing this thread as nobody seems to be reading warnings. Card issued to the poster specifically arguing about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement