Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a laptop without an O/S

Options
  • 07-11-2020 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm looking to buy a laptop without an operating system (well Windows really) as I intend to put Linux Mint on it.

Ideally I want a 15' with a decent processor, 8GB ram, 256GB ssd but would only have a budget of around €400-€450.

Do you actually save anything buying without an O/S or would I be better off just getting a cheap Windows laptop and wiping it, then installing Linux?

I've had a look around but most of the custom build laptop sites are pretty expensive for what you get.

Can anyone recommend a good site that sells non-windows laptops at this price range?

Thanks

Comments

very very rare that you see that option without an OS to be honest so you don't save much because the option is not really there except very exceptionally

aside from custom build laptop sites which don't do ultra-budget level laptops.

for that budget you will struggle to get a 4-core cpu and 8gb ram unless there is a temporary deal on somewhere like a refurbished deal or something like that on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jerry Fireball Mudflap

glasso wrote: »
    very very rare that you see that option without an OS to be honest so you don't save much because the option is not really there except very exceptionally

aside from custom build laptop sites which don't do ultra-budget level laptops.

for that budget you will struggle to get a 4-core cpu and 8gb ram unless there is a temporary deal on somewhere like a refurbished deal or something like that on ebay

Thanks glasso, yeah I was thinking the same having looked around recently but was just seeing if anyone knew of a site that I might of missed.

It looks like the only option is to go with a cheap refurb from Dell or someone similar and wipe Windows off it.

Have a look at argos and currys on ebay also and hotukdeals

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

Advertisement