Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12v Battery pack help?

Options
  • 07-11-2020 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I have a satellite meter for aligning satellite dishes, the battery pack is faulty, a new replacement one costs almost €100 for 10 x 1.2v rechargeable batteries. This is 13 years old and I want to fix my dish alignment rather than pay someone to come in to do it, I was a keen satellite hobbyist back in my younger days which is why I have the meter to begin with.

I took apart the old pack and I spotted there is some type of fuse or capacitor, pictured.

I was planning to just solder the negative and positive to a longer lead and rigup some crocodile clips to power it from 12v a car battery with a longer lead, this might be the last time I will ever use the meter again. The old power pack has a capacity of 1,800mah, obviously a car battery would be far more powerful, I am conscious of blowing the meter with a surge. Alternatively I could buy a shot of 1.2v rechargeables and make a similar battery bank again but it was always underpowered and the charge would often die in the middle of a job and you could not use it whilst on charge.

Any recommendations, I am particularly concerned about the fuse item.

Comments

I'd do the same. 12V lead. I'd go for a house alarm non-spillable type.
    The "fuse" looks like a temp sensor or a thermoswitch. Not necessary except for the old charger to operate correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I did that and the meter worked, the first time in 8 or 9 years since it came back to life, thanks for your help. I now must try remember how to use it again.

Advertisement