Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massey Ferguson

Options
  • 06-11-2020 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi I have a Massey Ferguson 698t I replaced the brake reservoir not too long ago in it.i was driving it along the road with around bale on the back and
    The left wheel seized up i was parked up on the road for a half hour i took the bale off and turn for home and it drove home fine the brake level was fine in it could anyone tell why this happened the tractor is old alright would it be something internal in the back axel that’s worn I would appreciate the advice thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

Driver2016 wrote: »
    Hi I have a Massey Ferguson 698t I replaced the brake reservoir not too long ago in it.i was driving it along the road with around bale on the back and
    The left wheel seized up i was parked up on the road for a half hour i took the bale off and turn for home and it drove home fine the brake level was fine in it could anyone tell why this happened the tractor is old alright would it be something internal in the back axel that’s worn I would appreciate the advice thanks

It could well be something internal in the axle but have a look on the out side first.

There are 3 things to check and they are connected together, the mechanism to operate the brake actuators on these are on the out side of the axles you will find them by following the handbrake cable. Like a lever these are pulled by the handbrake cable if you tap them with a hammer they should release the brake (you need the handbrake off so chock your wheels)

So the 3 possible faulty items are.
    1. Handbrake cable seized. Replace
    2. The lever part seized. Free out with oil
    3. Brake slave cylinder seized. Replace

Brake slave cylinder is behind that lever part and pushes it from behind. If rubber boots has let in water they seize and would be a common fault. Easy and cheap to replace but you need to bleeds brakes after.

Here is slave cylinder part.
    https://www.agrilineproducts.com/massey-ferguson-brake-slave-cylinder-5984

If the lever bit is seized, you can remove the nut pulling the brake actuators inside the axle and work them over and back beyond their normal working extremities. But you will need to balance your brakes afterwards or tractor will pull to one side. ( This may already be something overdue on the tractor anyway)

Edit: I assume nobody tried balancing the brakes recently as one of those nuts being too tight would lock up the wheel also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

The flexible rubber brake pipes on some of them gave problems. They close in when warm not allowing the fluid to return. Might happen once and then ok for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Driver2016

Thanks am gonna check it out im gratefull for the reply

emaherx wrote: »
    It could well be something internal in the axle but have a look on the out side first.

There are 3 things to check and they are connected together, the mechanism to operate the brake actuators on these are on the out side of the axles you will find them by following the handbrake cable. Like a lever these are pulled by the handbrake cable if you tap them with a hammer they should release the brake (you need the handbrake off so chock your wheels)

So the 3 possible faulty items are.
    1. Handbrake cable seized. Replace
    2. The lever part seized. Free out with oil
    3. Brake slave cylinder seized. Replace

Brake slave cylinder is behind that lever part and pushes it from behind. If rubber boots has let in water they seize and would be a common fault. Easy and cheap to replace but you need to bleeds brakes after.

Here is slave cylinder part.
    https://www.agrilineproducts.com/massey-ferguson-brake-slave-cylinder-5984

If the lever bit is seized, you can remove the nut pulling the brake actuators inside the axle and work them over and back beyond their normal working extremities. But you will need to balance your brakes afterwards or tractor will pull to one side. ( This may already be something overdue on the tractor anyway)

Edit: I assume nobody tried balancing the brakes recently as one of those nuts being too tight would lock up the wheel also.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Driver2016

I didn't see any rubber pipes on it when I was cleaning but I'll look again thanks for the info

Advertisement