Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading septic tank

Options
  • 06-11-2020 9:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hello Lads,

want to upgrade the old tank. The tank is behind the house where there is no room for percolation area. The natural fall of the land is toward the front. Am thinking of doing my percolation at the front but there is a feature well there. Not used, just for show but does have some water. Does the well distance requirement still hold?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Hire an waste water engineer and do it properly or don't do it at all. House for sale next to me needs to upgrade so house can be sold cost in excess of 20k to leave it up to standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Were they not supposed to have brought in inspections a few years ago. I think that at that time they had grants available to bring it up to spec. I haven't heard of anyone getting caught for it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Were they not supposed to have brought in inspections a few years ago. I think that at that time they had grants available to bring it up to spec. I haven't heard of anyone getting caught for it though

It would probably have to be inspected first by the local county council to be eligible for any grant but I can only imagine the higher specs then to claim the grant would make it expensive for the householder even after it being grant aided

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

The national inspection is council system is that each county council has to carry out a set number of inspections which varies county to county depending on water factors. So cavan would have a lot more inspections than other similar sized counties as cavan had a lot of lakes. Its only when a council inspection takes place on your system that you may avail of a grant if your system needs work. So in essence the national grant system is a sham as its highly unlikely that the council will pick you for an inspection .

There are 2 other grants available subject to T&C's and funding availability, see link below

https://www.epa.ie/water/wastewater/info/grants/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ok. I had misunderstood that. For some reason I thought they brought in new regulations a few years back around the time that the brought in Irish Water and that if you were inspected and your tank was not up to standard, they were going to fine people. And I thought that, in advance of that coming in, they were allowing a grant for upgrades. Seems I was wrong with that going by other's responses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

They haven't enough inspectors. So what is happening is if you have a tank giving trouble you can get the council out to inspect and fail it. Then you would qualify for the treatment plant upgrade grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭enricoh

A few on my road failed it n had to get a new system.
    God bless my electric gates yer one couldn't get in!
    My folks got tested and passed, the tester got the slash hook out and hacked her way into the ditch to ensure their wasn't any effluent in the ditch. She was very thorough.
    One of the neighbours had to get a good few loads of topsoil n stone in , cost him 10k after the grant. There's no doing it yourself you have to use a guy on their list.
    Keep yer gates closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

We failed an inspection very recently. Worse still, the previous owner had not registered the septic tank by the deadline in 2013. They only registered it when we were buying the house from them a few years ago.

We are therefore seemingly not eligible to get a grant for the remedial works. The figures quoted in the above posts have absolutely terrified me that we may face similar costs.

Would we have any comeback on the grant eligibility since we were not the house owners at the time of registration deadline and had no control over it? Is this something that's likely to catch out lots more unsuspecting house buyers?

Advertisement