Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing an intercom handset

Options
  • 06-11-2020 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

I've been quoted a price for a new intercom handset for my apartment for €220 which to me sounds like a crazy amount of money for what appears to be a very straight forward piece of equipment. I was told that there is only one handset that goes with the system and I'm tied to that price.

Firstly, is what he's telling me true? Is it not possible to purchase an alternative handset or is he just trying to flog the ones he has?

Secondly, assuming I can locate the same type of handset myself, is it something I could install with little DIY experience? Does this type of work have to be undertaken by the apartment block security company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Price of a handset depends on the manufacturer & type of system, analogue/2 wire, IP etc. A basic analogue audio only can start at €40 up to €500 plus for a high end fully featured touchscreen type.
    I'm assuming its a block of apartments with 1-2 Main doors/underground parking? Chances are the unit will have to be set up by the security engineer, as in given a specific bus address-via dips if its analogue, IP/mac if it's IP.

You could set an analogue quite easily, set the dip switches to the same as the old one-IP may be a bit trickier-any half decent company would have the unit password protected & the default deleted. It may be easier to pay the €220 even if you can source the kit cheaper, even if you get it going the management company would not be happy about someone tampering with their system..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It's an apartment block and is just for a single main door. No underground car park. Doesn't have a video interface / camera either so I'm guessing it's a basic analogue audio only one with door release control?

I didn't realise the installation would be so complicated, at least it sounds that way for a layman like myself. It's just a replacement handset so thought it would just be a case of wiring it the same way. What would the security engineer have to do beyond wiring it up in my apartment? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I've no knowledge in this field at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Ive installed networking devices many a times in big companies, telecommunications equipment etc but never a intercom for an apartment but, sometimes ports if IP are locked down via MAC address so if you get a new device it might not work.

Speak to your management company OP first and ask them how the device is connected.

VonLuck wrote: »
    It's an apartment block and is just for a single main door. No underground car park. Doesn't have a video interface / camera either so I'm guessing it's a basic analogue audio only one with door release control?

I didn't realise the installation would be so complicated, at least it sounds that way for a layman like myself. It's just a replacement handset so thought it would just be a case of wiring it the same way. What would the security engineer have to do beyond wiring it up in my apartment? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I've no knowledge in this field at all!

Hard to say without knowing how its setup; but apart from fitting it, they would have to set it up on the system-most systems give each apartment an address, basically a number the door station calls when your apartment is selected by a visitor. As per my above post, it can be really straightforward on basic analogue system to requiring an installers login for IP systems etc.

Best suggestion I would have is let the maintenance/security company do it. It could cost you a lot more in the long run if you made a mistake setting it up (conflicts, wrong IP settings etc.), you could cause problems on the whole system-I'm sure they would be looking for a lot more than €220 to sort it :)

Give us a look at the hand set.
    It's been 12/13 years since I did them tbh but we don't know how old your apartment is!

• Advertisement

stevek93 wrote: »
    Ive installed networking devices many a times in big companies, telecommunications equipment etc but never a intercom for an apartment but, sometimes ports if IP are locked down via MAC address so if you get a new device it might not work.

Speak to your management company OP first and ask them how the device is connected.

I did contact them, but they just referred me to the security company unfortunately.
    glynf wrote: »
    Hard to say without knowing how its setup; but apart from fitting it, they would have to set it up on the system-most systems give each apartment an address, basically a number the door station calls when your apartment is selected by a visitor. As per my above post, it can be really straightforward on basic analogue system to requiring an installers login for IP systems etc.

Best suggestion I would have is let the maintenance/security company do it. It could cost you a lot more in the long run if you made a mistake setting it up (conflicts, wrong IP settings etc.), you could cause problems on the whole system-I'm sure they would be looking for a lot more than €220 to sort it :)

It seems odd to be that I could mess up the whole system. I mean it's a device that's in my own apartment. Surely they wouldn't have a system where an individual could mess up the intercom system for a whole block because they decided to replace a handset themselves.

I could have easily went ahead and done it myself and I wouldn't have known any better only that I asked here!
    Give us a look at the hand set.
    It's been 12/13 years since I did them tbh but we don't know how old your apartment is!

Couple of pictures below. Maybe you need to see the wiring too?

https://imgur.com/X0fYWGS
    https://imgur.com/CPYz44q

Looks like a fairly basic analogue intercom, I thought take it that it's a smaller block of apartments? Should be easy to change out, take a picture of the existing wiring before you start

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Why does it need replacing anyway? If it's broken then surely it's up to the apartment block's management company to replace it?

Alun wrote: »
    Why does it need replacing anyway? If it's broken then surely it's up to the apartment block's management company to replace it?

Can't hear anything on the receiver, but the person at the door can hear me and the door release works. It's a bit frustrating not being able to hear who's trying to get in!

They said it's up to me to replace it as it's in my apartment, which I assume is the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Possibly just a loose connection or a break in the cable somewhere. At the worst a broken speaker module. If it were me, I'd be taking it apart and checking it with a multimeter first before forking out €220 for a new one. This is the DIY forum after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

OP are you paying a yearly management fee? I’d so I would insist management replace the intercom.

Open it up there and give us a picture.
    Might be a screw in the bottom or it might just unclip.

All the addresses are done at a base module in my experience.the hand set is just a "dumb" unit.

This it ?
    https://www.bestvaluesecurity.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=199

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

OP are you paying a yearly management fee? I’d so I would insist management replace the intercom.

Doesn't work like that. Anything inside the apartment is the owners responsibility and anything outside is the management company.

Like fred said, doesn't cover anything within the apartment itself. Only common areas.
    Open it up there and give us a picture.
    Might be a screw in the bottom or it might just unclip.

All the addresses are done at a base module in my experience.the hand set is just a "dumb" unit.

This it ?
    https://www.bestvaluesecurity.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=199

Bit wary about opening it up in case I mess with something and it stops working altogether!

That looks to be the unit alright. £15! Nearly worth taking the risk and just order it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

This would be a simple enough job if it is that unit basic unit.

as the lads said photograph the wiring first, do a decent job with the photo as the colours can be similar.

there is probably only 4 cables connected, some of these were 2 wire too

So I took a photo of the wiring: https://imgur.com/a/7p52n6j

Looks more complicated than I thought, but probably straight forward if you're familiar with this kind of thing.

The problem with the unit is that there is no audio coming through the receiver. Is it something that could potentially be fixed instead of ordering a brand new unit? Seems like a waste if it's just a wire that's loose or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Doesn’t look that bad once you only look at the wires coming in from outside.
    Only 5 screw terninals, just label the wires or note the colours and you’ll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ya as said it's just the 5 terminals that have screws on them at the bottom that you need to do. Make sure mark them with maybe tape and and paper 1,2,3,4,5

This is a five minute job. You should be fine

Image attached

Great. Sounds like I could replace it easily enough.

Is it likely that it could be repaired? No idea what would cause the audio to stop working on the receiver, but I could open it up if needs be. I've a mate who does a bit of soldering if it comes down to that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

15 quid like!

VonLuck wrote: »
    Great. Sounds like I could replace it easily enough.

Is it likely that it could be repaired? No idea what would cause the audio to stop working on the receiver, but I could open it up if needs be. I've a mate who does a bit of soldering if it comes down to that!

Cheaper to replace tbh. Yes it's probably most likely a break in the receiver cable. But from your image that looks soldered to the board on the bottom left. Even replacing the receiver cable your not guaranteed a fix. There's really nothing else on the handset part bar a speaker and a mic.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    15 quid like!

Not the money at all. More than willing to fork out a small bit of money to replace it but if it can be a simple fix I'd rather do that than throw something that's in (almost) perfect working order.
    listermint wrote: »
    Cheaper to replace tbh. Yes it's probably most likely a break in the receiver cable. But from your image that looks soldered to the board on the bottom left. Even replacing the receiver cable your not guaranteed a fix. There's really nothing else on the handset part bar a speaker and a mic.

I suppose there's no harm in taking it apart and giving it a shot. If it doesn't work I'll just order a replacement. Thanks.

Okay, so I looked up the exact model online and I'm slightly confused. There's a PDF of the model here: http://www.intercomsrus.com/handset%20pdf/Farfisa%20PT510W%20Intercom%20Handset%20Data%20Sheet.pdf

Seems like my model has an extra board for some reason. I'm guessing if I order a replacement handset I would only get the one board. Any ideas why my intercom would have an extra one? Something to do with the overall apartment block intercom system maybe?

Advertisement