Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair of a faulty electrical socket

Options
  • 05-11-2020 6:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Hi, we had a bad tradesperson in who wired our boiler into a plug socket instead of the fuse box. It shorted in the middle of the night and cut out all the sockets in house. The emergency electrician who called out had to disconnect it fully. He said there was water after getting in behind, possibly through an extractor fan vent and it had shorted the boiler plug (thankfully or it could have burned the house down).

So the electrician who did the bad job came back and did it properly by wiring it into the fusebox like he should have (he tried to charge us for "parts" as well of course so we said we'd deduct it from the bill we sent him for the emergency electrician, but we're still not sure where to send that).

But now a plug socket we need doesn't work. Would a contractor just come out and repair the plug socket? What kind of money would you be talking about for that kind of job?

Any info appreciated. Thinking about going to the RSII because a plumber we had to get out today to deal with the boiler pressure said they did a botch job on one of the seals on the radiators as well. We have the electrician's report stating that the job was done incorrectly and the plumber is doing one as well.

Nightmare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Gas or oil boiler?

The electrician needs to be RGI to wire in a gas boiler. If he is RGI then you could contact RGI. As he has since worked on you fuse box then he also must be RECI & as far as I know should have given you a RECI certificate when the job was done. You could contact RECI

Edit: reading your op comment again has me wondering if it is a plumber or electrician who made the mistakes. I can't see too many electricians getting involved in rad valves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

s1ippy wrote: »
    It shorted in the middle of the night and cut out all the sockets in house. The emergency electrician who called out had to disconnect it fully. He said there was water after getting in behind, possibly through an extractor fan vent and it had shorted the boiler plug (thankfully or it could have burned the house down).

Would the water ingress not have shorted the socket even if the boiler wasn't connected to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

s1ippy wrote: »
    Hi, we had a bad tradesperson in who wired our boiler into a plug socket instead of the fuse box. It shorted in the middle of the night and cut out all the sockets in house. The emergency electrician who called out had to disconnect it fully. He said there was water after getting in behind, possibly through an extractor fan vent and it had shorted the boiler plug (thankfully or it could have burned the house down).

So the electrician who did the bad job came back and did it properly by wiring it into the fusebox like he should have (he tried to charge us for "parts" as well of course so we said we'd deduct it from the bill we sent him for the emergency electrician, but we're still not sure where to send that).

Plumbers are not allowed work on a fuse board, unless he is also RECI certified. From a practical perspective I'm not sure what was so wrong with him using a plug socket. The fault was due to water ingress, not using the socket for the boiler.

Having said all that, there are new wiring regulations if getting a new boiler fitted. When I replaced my gas boiler, the earthing to the entire plumbing system had to be upgraded. This meant I needed two certs - RGI one and RECI one. I'm not up to speed with the latest wiring regulations, so maybe someone else can confirm whether a plug and socket is allowed.

Advertisement