Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse hay feeder?

Options
  • 05-11-2020 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

We're building an outdoor hay feeder for our horses! We want to put netting over the hay to slow them down eating it. Just wondering if anyone has built one and has suggestions as regard the netting? We've heard the harder grates etc can be damaging to the horses teeth so we're thinking along the lines of hockey netting or something. Any other bright ideas? We've got 4 young boys who love to get up to mischief so suggestions re netting welcome! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I use Bell type feeder to feed hay. A small pallet inside helps keep the hay off the ground.

I have seen hay feeders like the ones your talking about using the heavy duty cord fishing boat type nets.

Not sure whats proper name is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

Cheers.. Yeah we had been wondering about that kinda fish netting but weren't sure if it'd be strong enough or if we'd be forever buying new stuff! I suppose theres only one way to find out! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hanness

Hi
    we had a such a feeding net for horses once but the holes in the net were so small that the horses had problems to get food out of it. So I suggest choosing a net with big enough holes.

Advertisement