Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to work after miscarriage

Options
  • 05-11-2020 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all. Hopefully I can get some advice here. I suffered an early pregnancy loss at 11 weeks in August. I have been on certified medical leave since then because of my miscarriage.

I am due back at work tomorrow and sent an email to my boss last week asking about my work hours etc when I return. I work as an English language teacher in a private language school. He told me that he couldn’t schedule me in for any hours until the owner of the company OKed it. I have been unable to get an answer from them about whether I have a job to go to tomorrow and I have no idea how to proceed. We are working from home right now too so I can’t just show up stay the school. They are also refusing to answer my questions about whether they will follow the legislation and grant me the annual leave days I have accrued while on sick leave.

I will have been working with the school full time for 5 years the February and was the assistant director of studies before the pandemic hit. I cannot believe this is how I’m being treated especially given the reason for my sick leave.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

We're all in uncharted waters, I expect they are stilling trying to figure out if they have the work and if they have the cash to pay you. They might not know if they are going to even be in business next Monday for all that.

You'll just have to play it out and see where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiafleur

Jim2007 wrote: »
    We're all in uncharted waters, I expect they are stilling trying to figure out if they have the work and if they have the cash to pay you. They might not know if they are going to even be in business next Monday for all that.

You'll just have to play it out and see where it goes.

The thing is though that they’ve hired 2 new teachers since I have been off. Both on 10 hour contacts so bring paid totally by the government employment subsidy. It surely cannot be legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭py

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I hope both you and your partner are doing ok.

Is there any chance they may have already have a timetable drawn up and had to exclude you from it as they weren't sure you'd be ready to come back? I'm not saying that is the right way to approach things but they probably had to be sure they had a tutor/teacher for their students.

With regards to the lack of answers from them, I would schedule a call with them to discuss and ask for clear timelines for them to come back to you with further details.

As Jim2007 says, we're in unchartered waters here and the timing of everything for you has been unfortunate. Best of luck with it.

Advertisement