Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Insulation

Options
  • 05-11-2020 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi, living in a semi d house that's timber frame. Most of the house is warm but the room where the garage is (my house its a bedroom) is cold straight away when the heating goes off. The room has 3 external walls and it's own roof. I've added insulation to the attic area. I can't pump the walls so can I externally insulate the walls. It'll be 2 walls because I've window at front and don't want to go near the front.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

No point installing ewi on a tf house because there should always be a ventilated cavity and therefore ewi outside this cavity is as useful as an astray on a motorbike.

Your room is more than likely suffering from significant convective heat loss (i.e. draughts aka lack of air tightness). This can be reasonably well addressed but best to have an air tightness test done first to pinpoint where the issues are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

whats on the floor, if it were a garage....concrete, no insulation...

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

It's a concrete floor, what's under that I've no idea - probably the standard 20 years ago. I put timber floor down and put the foil backed insulation under that, insulation that comes in the roll. Still colder than the rest of the house.
    To do an air tightness test is something that I've never thought based on cost unless I can do some sort of test myself.
    I wasn't going near the cavity, I was thinking to add the insulation on the external wall would help but that's why I'm here, I'm looking for advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BPH wrote: »
    It's a concrete floor, what's under that I've no idea - probably the standard 20 years ago. I put timber floor down and put the foil backed insulation under that, insulation that comes in the roll. Still colder than the rest of the house.
    To do an air tightness test is something that I've never thought based on cost unless I can do some sort of test myself.
    I wasn't going near the cavity, I was thinking to add the insulation on the external wall would help but that's why I'm here, I'm looking for advise.

Youd be better paying for a test tbh. The professional will give you advice that you've never even thought of. Worth it to solve the problem rather than scatter gun approach of throwing money at multiple solutions

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

Any idea of cost for the test or who to approach?
    Thanks.
    listermint wrote: »
    Youd be better paying for a test tbh. The professional will give you advice that you've never even thought of. Worth it to solve the problem rather than scatter gun approach of throwing money at multiple solutions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BPH wrote: »
    Any idea of cost for the test or who to approach?
    Thanks.

Pm first poster on thread might be able to point you in a direction.

Advertisement