Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on bathroom down lights

Options
  • 04-11-2020 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

I seem to be having really bad luck with my lights lol. Anyway. Looking for advice on what to do. I’ve three spots in my bathroom make two in en-suite. These have blown and needed replacing over the past few months. I reckon they’re about 15ish years old. Eventually managed to change the bulbs but the original holders are now loose and hanging from the ceilings. I’ve spoken to my neighbour and they have been able to get a fix using a metal plate and fixing this then to the ceiling.

I’m paranoid about fire safety especially seeing as these are in the bathroom. Any advice on how I could rectify these properly. Just want to know what to ask electrician to do etc and that I won’t be taken for a ride
    Pics below in next comment. On the phone and unable to post them to this comment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

Pics of bathrooms lights

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Replace all the fittings, and get proper fire rated for the bathrooms.

Take measurements of the existing cut outs to try get ones that aren't smaller. If you want square again, you wont have many options.

Davy wrote: »
    Replace all the fittings, and get proper fire rated for the bathrooms.

Take measurements of the existing cut outs to try get ones that aren't smaller. If you want square again, you wont have many options.

Thank you. Got electrician around. Dead sound lad. I’m removing the three spots and replacing with one large led light unit. The plasterboard is in bad shape and he doesn’t think getting similar sized fittings will do the job. I’m getting a larger waterproof light. Gonna cut out a bigger hole and patch up the two other ones. Hoping this will do the job.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

adam88 wrote: »
    Thank you. Got electrician around. Dead sound lad. I’m removing the three spots and replacing with one large led light unit. The plasterboard is in bad shape and he doesn’t think getting similar sized fittings will do the job. I’m getting a larger waterproof light. Gonna cut out a bigger hole and patch up the two other ones. Hoping this will do the job.

Might be a good idea to make sure the cables are long enough to reach their new locations before cutting holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

adam88 wrote: »

Maybe not as straightforward as you think. If he’s a rec(which he should be to work in bathrooms)and he’s fitting a new light and altering the wiring then it must comply to current standards. It must be rcd protected.

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    Maybe not as straightforward as you think. If he’s a rec(which he should be to work in bathrooms)and he’s fitting a new light and altering the wiring then it must comply to current standards. It must be rcd protected.

Yup. I’d presume he is. Came recommended from two friends who had work done.

Advertisement