Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GU10 bulbs. Replacements not fitting.

Options
  • 04-11-2020 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Replacing my old halogen gu10 with new Philips gu10. The new ones don’t seem to fit all the way up to be able to put the metal spring underneath to keep them in situ.

Anyone any ideas how to remedy this. It appears the shape of the curve of the new bulbs is slightly slightly different to the old ones and I suspect this means they don’t go up far enough.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you want to use the new bulbs you might have to change the downlight fittings/lampholders.

Post some pictures of the setup you have, might get some better answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,198 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nearly all LED bulbs are slightly longer and can't be held in by the spring clips. Some IKEA ones are big enough to sort of jam in, but that wouldn't be advisable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

Old one in situ with the spring. New one in but won’t go in far enough to be able to put spring under it.

I’m at my wits end this week with this house. Someone has a curse put on me with all that is going wrong lol

You can see its longer there, but its also wider around the end as far as I can see.

L1011 wrote: »
    You can see its longer there, but its also wider around the end as far as I can see.

The dome seems to be too “fat”

I pulled down the holder and they seem to be getting stuck with the spring

I’m sort of caught with the chicken or the egg. All the new led bulbs seem to be this fat. I could change the holder perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

Do the new bulbs not stay in without the springs? I thought those springs were usually to keep the other 12V GU4 bulbs in place. They are the bulbs with just the prongs whereas you push the GU10s in and turn to hook them bayonet style in to the receiver.

My 2 cents

adam88 wrote: »
    The dome seems to be too “fat”

I pulled down the holder and they seem to be getting stuck with the spring

I’m sort of caught with the chicken or the egg. All the new led bulbs seem to be this fat. I could change the holder perhaps.

I've not yet seen an LED the size of the original bulbs - the need for a heatsink for reliability/longevity makes it very difficult to get that form factor.

The normal replacement for the type of holder in your picture has an extended cap on it to provide a fixed GU10 socket at the top and hence not need the ring - will that fit in the space you have?
    wait4me wrote: »
    Do the new bulbs not stay in without the springs? I thought those springs were usually to keep the other 12V GU4 bulbs in place. They are the bulbs with just the prongs whereas you push the GU10s in and turn to hook them bayonet style in to the receiver.

My 2 cents

Its entirely dependent on the type of holder. Plenty of GU10 installs, particularly in false ceilings, using retention rings/springs.

Also retrofits from MR16 12V to GU10 (by removing the transformer onwards and replacing with a GU10 pigtail) will frequently still use the original outer fitting and hence the ring.

MR11/GU4 are smaller than MR16 which is the matching size to GU10.

So ended up replacing the chrome casings. Got them for 4 e a pop in Woodies. They came with the gu10 holder but I didn’t need that. Easy enough to replace. Pull down the existing holder, minding the springs and just pop up the mew ones

Advertisement