Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler replacement questions

Options
  • 04-11-2020 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

I think my boiler is on its last legs and might need it replaced soon. It's quite old and when I bought the house the guy who checked it said everything was fine but the pipes were the old size and the new size was smaller, I think he said I'd need them replaced too. I'm just wondering is this just a single pipe that runs from the gas main to the boiler or is it the whole system that would need doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You'd have to ask the plumber tbh.

Assuming it's an old system it probably has gunbarrel pipework around the house. He's probably talking about pulling out that circuit. It's two circuits that run in parallel a feed and return. Yes it should be replaced if it's bad. But many pipe circuits simply aren't bad and people are told the replace them. Just because its gun barrel. Internal and external condition is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Jet Black wrote: »
    I think my boiler is on its last legs and might need it replaced soon. It's quite old and when I bought the house the guy who checked it said everything was fine but the pipes were the old size and the new size was smaller, I think he said I'd need them replaced too. I'm just wondering is this just a single pipe that runs from the gas main to the boiler or is it the whole system that would need doing?

what makes you think it is on its last legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

listermint wrote: »
    You'd have to ask the plumber tbh.

Assuming it's an old system it probably has gunbarrel pipework around the house. He's probably talking about pulling out that circuit. It's two circuits that run in parallel a feed and return. Yes it should be replaced if it's bad. But many pipe circuits simply aren't bad and people are told the replace them. Just because its gun barrel. Internal and external condition is key.

I don't think its that old. I'd say it was installed about 20 years ago, but the house was sitting empty for 6 of those years. I had a RGI look at it 5 years ago and said it works fine but the pipe was either too small or big and to meet regs it would need replacing. He said I'd need it would need replaced soon.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    what makes you think it is on its last legs?

Fan went 3 years ago and the guy who fixed it said the boiler needed replacing soon. It broke again last month but after a few days just started working again. I'm just worried about it going over winter, I've young kids so I wouldn't be able to stay there without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Jet Black wrote: »
    I don't think its that old. I'd say it was installed about 20 years ago, but the house was sitting empty for 6 of those years. I had a RGI look at it 5 years ago and said it works fine but the pipe was either too small or big and to meet regs it would need replacing. He said I'd need it would need replaced soon.

Fan went 3 years ago and the guy who fixed it said the boiler needed replacing soon. It broke again last month but after a few days just started working again. I'm just worried about it going over winter, I've young kids so I wouldn't be able to stay there without it.

The fan is a separate unit so in not an indicator of the boiler lifetime. They will often stop and act up for a bit before they go fully so order one when it starts to act up. Easy enough to replace yourself on most boilers.
    Some of the older boilers will last for ever or close enough. They are incredibly inefficient compared to the newer ones though and that can determine whether you should replace or not.
    Main problem is everything goes eventually and it will most likely go when its being used heavily. i.e. the middle of winter and then you'll be scrambling to get it replaced asap. I would talk to a gas registered plumber and get a quote so at least if it goes you are lined up and time without one would be minimal.

Advertisement